New to Bonsai - Just saying hello

BBristow79

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Fantastic forum. I have been reading like crazy since finding your forum and it has been a wealth of information. As a new member I thought I would introduce myself. My name is Brent and I'm from Southern Ontario. I have been interested in Bonsai for ages but have recently decided to take the plunge. I have started this hobby by joining my local bonsai club and purchasing 3 books. Took some advice from your favorite reads and went with Bonsai Techniques I and II as well as the Manual of Woody Landscape Plants.

Although I have limited experience with trees I have very similar experience with live coral. At one point I had about 3000 gallons of saltwater tanks and propagating LPS, SPS and other coral was my hobby/business. A lot of the same techniques but different mediums :)

After filling my brain with as much bonsai info as possible my next step will be in the spring to pick up some young trees, or air layer a few from my yard area. Very interested in the Japanese Maples, Dawn Redwoods and of course Junipers.

I am still in the market for pots and tools. I was thinking about getting the Joshua Roth Intermediate tool set and I am at a loss for a place to purchase pots. Any advice on these topics would be greatly appreciated.

I look forward to reading more from all of you and hopefully pick your brains every now and then. I may be a bonsai noob but I promise to read up as much as possible before asking any questions =P Thanks,

Brent

Thanks JKL,
Great site. Really nice quality pots. Going to have to pick up lots of training pots to start. Thanks again for the link,

Brent

Welcome, theres lots to read here.

Thanks everyone!

I added my location.
milehigh_7 - Great link. It's going to take me a while to get through that. What a great knowledge index.

Brent

Hello everyone,
Fantastic forum. I have been reading like crazy since finding your forum and it has been a wealth of information. As a new member I thought I would introduce myself. My name is Brent and I'm from Southern Ontario. I have been interested in Bonsai for ages but have recently decided to take the plunge. I have started this hobby by joining my local bonsai club and purchasing 3 books. Took some advice from your favorite reads and went with Bonsai Techniques I and II as well as the Manual of Woody Landscape Plants.

Although I have limited experience with trees I have very similar experience with live coral. At one point I had about 3000 gallons of saltwater tanks and propagating LPS, SPS and other coral was my hobby/business. A lot of the same techniques but different mediums :)

After filling my brain with as much bonsai info as possible my next step will be in the spring to pick up some young trees, or air layer a few from my yard area. Very interested in the Japanese Maples, Dawn Redwoods and of course Junipers.

I am still in the market for pots and tools. I was thinking about getting the Joshua Roth Intermediate tool set and I am at a loss for a place to purchase pots. Any advice on these topics would be greatly appreciated.

I look forward to reading more from all of you and hopefully pick your brains every now and then. I may be a bonsai noob but I promise to read up as much as possible before asking any questions =P Thanks,

Brent

You probably already know as much as I do and I've been hanging with these smucks for years....:D

keep it green,
Harry

Brrrr indeed. The bad news is that it is super cold and will be until April-May. The good news is that because I am in southern Ontario there are a tonne of nurseries in the area. I will have many fun weekends seeking out nice looking tree victims (I mean specimens). I also have family north of here that owns a very large piece of land and have welcomed me to come up and help myself. It is mostly forested and lake front property. I am excited.

Thanks again for the warm welcome. Those links are keeping me busy.

Brent

Yes, this is a great place to get information. Its good to be able to see the trees along with the info to put it in perspective. As far as pots though, i have learned that each tree, depending on its size, shape, species, etc has a pot that looks better than others, so i have put the 5 or 6 pots on my bench in hopes of one day growing a tree that will look right in them. I will for now on purchase them after i have a tree in mind for it. Learning about how the pottery affects the trees look is a whole other part of bonsai that i will have to wait for until the trees are ready. My first year i had 6 trees in finished pots, then after learning a little, and deciding what i wanted my trees to look like, have planted them all back into the ground, or containers for more trunk development. Have fun with it.

Back
Top Bottom