No koi or garden forums...

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
After a little more reflection (and after listening to all of your feedback) I have decided NOT to add a koi/pond forum, or a Japanese garden forum to the site. I think that one of the things that makes BonsaiNut a great bonsai site is the depth of the specialty forums. At the same time, I want to make sure that we do not add too many forums that fracture the conversation or detract from the core focus of the site - bonsai. For the foreseeable future, continue to post your great koi in the karaoke bar. We will toast them there (pun intended) :)

rlist

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Well, I totally missed the poll until now, and that said, I must booo your decision.

I am not a koi owner, though I have spent my fair share of time up to my armpits in the depths of a certain hole in the ground so I am deeply appreciative of all that goes into keeping them successfully. I believe that for some of us ponds and gardens are an integral part of the whole culture surrounding this art we, and if active members would like to contribute those aspects of their lives I think a single area (other than the bar) would be a good thing to offer on this site. That said, it should remain small and unobtrusive such that there isn't the spillover (ha ha) from dedicated pond and garden forums.

I understand and respect your decision, but I still ask to retain my right say booo. I also would like to say that this is a great site and even if I booo this, it makes no matter in the greater scheme of things...

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The decision came down to the strategic direction of the site. Did I want the content focus to be "narrow and deep" or "broad and shallow". I decided to go narrow and deep - and really focus on bonsai. I was tempted, however, because I have not been able to locate great forums for koi or Japanese Gardens. There are some big ones, but not great ones ;)

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
I agree with Rich on this.
Gardens and Ponds go hand in hand with bonsai and that we should have an area focused on that besides the bar.
Mom

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Actually I think you made the right decision. He who makes the efforts to master everything masters nothing. What next; Sushi, Ikebana, Calligraphy, Acupuncture, Sepuku? Where will it end? Just because something is Japanese does not make it bonsai related or bonsai relevant.

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
) I have decided NOT to add a koi/pond forum, or a Japanese garden forum to the site. I think that one of the things that makes BonsaiNut a great bonsai site is the depth of the specialty forums. At the same time, I want to make sure that we do not add too many forums that fracture the conversation or detract from the core focus of the site - bonsai.

That's it, I'm out of here. Finally a distraction I could care a less about and you kill it before it happens? And what do you mean focus on bonsai? What is that about?

Just kidding. Thanks for letting us know and thanks for this forum.

Sincerely supporting your efforts no matter what - Graydon

johng

Omono
Reaction score
"This site is for enthusiasts of Bonsai and related arts & culture." From the very first line of the site's introduction. Although a little disappointed, I will respect your decision.
John

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
"This site is for enthusiasts of Bonsai and related arts & culture." From the very first line of the site's introduction. Although a little disappointed, I will respect your decision.
John

My definition of related arts and culture are those things normally displayed at a bonsai exhibition. This would include silk scrolls, pots, stands, suiseki, companion plants, etc. I am disappointed as well, at least at some level, however the more I thought about capturing koi/ponds in a single forum (or even two forums) the more I realized that it would need its own space.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree with Bnut's decision on this matter, to many ingredients will ruin the soup....and too many chefs will as well. ;)

Good call.

Will

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
FWIW Greg I support your decision. Navigation on this site requires a map at times. Why add to the confusion?

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
There are quite a few koi forumns out there and some of them actually talk about koi. I've only found one J. garden site and it's pretty highbrow ( hmmmmm sounds familiar ) but it's thete for anyone who is interested. My primary focus is koi and I still see no reason for a koi section here. If I want to talk koi I go somewhere else.

Top Bottom