Not quite as dry as outer space.

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The bonsai gods are trying to smite my newly collected trees. We got down to 5% relative humidity today. It's back up to a whopping 7% right now! Anyway, here's my Gambel oak raft, potted up in DE and much of its original field soil. It didn't help that my reciprocating saw practically shook the root ball apart when I tried to prune back the large taproot with it. Had to revert to a manual saw. It's very droopy right now. I've been partially defoliating it today and will do some more tomorrow, when I see which leaves it wants to self-prune. If it survives, this will be a sweet bonsai with a lot of character. The photo doesn't do it justice.image.jpeg

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Wouldn't it be great if there was a way to raise the humidity around it so you didn't need to remove the leaves that are necessary to make roots? If that igloo thingy behind it were just a bit bigger ...

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Man, 5-7 are really alarming numbers. It's time to deal with it... Humidity trays, greenhouse, garden pond...whatever. Not offending, I know you want to do your best for the trees.

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yes, I may try a plastic bag while it's in the shade. So far, I've just been keeping the plants and stones all around it wet. My wife and I are in the discussion phase of a dedicated bonsai garden with tall wind breaks and a water feature. Fortunately, there's a little moisture coming our way this week.

jcrossett

Chumono
Reaction score
Good luck. I want an oak bad but can't find what I'm looking for and can't bare to ask the wife to let me get another tree lol. Any way beautiful tree there and hope it pull thou thats going to be a great specimen.

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Good luck. I want an oak bad but can't find what I'm looking for and can't bare to ask the wife to let me get another tree lol. Any way beautiful tree there and hope it pull thou thats going to be a great specimen.

Thanks! I think it's been stomped on several times by cows and hunters. Unfortunately, it was a late collection, since the Forest Service delayed issuing permits because of late snows and their not wanting the road torn up. Then I had another week's delay because of real life.

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think almost as dry as the Moon, now. Got down to 2% humidity today! My trees are on automatic watering four times a day. It could get worse. We're expecting temps in the high 90's on Sunday and no appreciable moisture until Tuesday, which will bring us back down to low 90's. Next week will be the hottest week of the year, then, hopefully, the monsoon rains will start.

http://w1.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KSAF.html

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The bonsai gods are trying to smite my newly collected trees. We got down to 5% relative humidity today. It's back up to a whopping 7% right now! Anyway, here's my Gambel oak raft, potted up in DE and much of its original field soil. It didn't help that my reciprocating saw practically shook the root ball apart when I tried to prune back the large taproot with it. Had to revert to a manual saw. It's very droopy right now. I've been partially defoliating it today and will do some more tomorrow, when I see which leaves it wants to self-prune. If it survives, this will be a sweet bonsai with a lot of character. The photo doesn't do it justice.View attachment 106656

They all made it! See this thread for updates:

http://www.bonsainut.com/threads/late-season-collected-trees-thriving.23933/#post-367219

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
It didn't help that my reciprocating saw practically shook the root ball apart when I tried to prune back the large taproot with it. Had to revert to a manual saw.
On a side note, I have the same problem and not sure the solution. I changed the the blade to a shorter/smaller teeth blade, that seemed to make it worse. Stopping and starting is the worst even if you pull it back first. Not sure my hand saw is any better. I worry about breaking all the feeder roots when I have to chop a larger tree to a new leader. I know on one of my maples the leaves drooped for a few days after I chopped to a new leader.

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
On a side note, I have the same problem and not sure the solution. I changed the the blade to a shorter/smaller teeth blade, that seemed to make it worse. Stopping and starting is the worst even if you pull it back first. Not sure my hand saw is any better. I worry about breaking all the feeder roots when I have to chop a larger tree to a new leader. I know on one of my maples the leaves drooped for a few days after I chopped to a new leader.

I have a Japanese folding hand saw. It cuts pretty smoothly.

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Is that a double toothed or a thin single? Mine is double with bigger teeth and catches on the grooves a lot. I saw the silky ones, just haven't wanted to buy it yet....I have other tools I need first.

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Is that a double toothed or a thin single? Mine is double with bigger teeth and catches on the grooves a lot. I saw the silky ones, just haven't wanted to buy it yet....I have other tools I need first.

I suppose technically, it would be considered double, since alternate teeth are sharpened on opposite sides, but they're only slightly offset, so it makes a very narrow cut.

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Ah ok...something i will try to get down the road.

Top Bottom