Nursing a Japanese black pine back to health and recent styling

Chuah

Shohin
Reaction score
I bought this mid-size Japanese black pine from a local bonsai nursery about 5 years ago. It was very weak but the price was right; thought I could nurse it back, if not, I had bought an overpriced pot.

15337569_1350217224989441_3966963887204215680_n.jpg

I changed the soil to all inorganics over a period of two years, and was glad it had become quite healthy. I thinned out some old needles and did a major wiring last month. Here is the black pine before and after wiring:

15267604_1350217188322778_4252489726822431860_n.jpg

IMG_7989.JPG
I would tilt the planting angle in next repotting and bring the apex more to the left to fall within the root base, and to grow a more rounded top. The current apex is somewhat pointy. Glad the gamble paid off

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is a very nice progression. It is amazing what time can do. Glad you made the photo's to record it. Thanks for sharing.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Looks great Hoe - I read with interest your blog article on this. It was great seeing this in person at the club meeting. Thanks for sharing it here.

Scott

Chuah

Shohin
Reaction score
Looks great Hoe - I read with interest your blog article on this. It was great seeing this in person at the club meeting. Thanks for sharing it here.

Scott
Thanks Scott, you and Alex gave inputs on moving the apex further to the left.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I am always curious about details when I see a nice transition like this. Can you share the specifics of your soil mix and how you shifted the mix over the course of two years?

Reactions: GGB

Chuah

Shohin
Reaction score
I am always curious about details when I see a nice transition like this. Can you share the specifics of your soil mix and how you shifted the mix over the course of two years?
For a weak tree like this, the problem was most likely with the roots. So I had to encourage root growth in a new free draining soil and with enough air space to restore its health. Since I am in Zone 9 with a very hot summer, I use 50% akadama and 50% of lava and pumice, a wetter mix than the usual Boon mix. First year, I replaced front half of the old soil with new soil, and sprinkled the roots with store bought mycorrhizae. I replaced the back half of the soil the second year.

Besides using organic fertilizer, I supplement with foliar feeding using Monty's Joy-Juice at 1/4 teaspoon/gallon concentration about once every two-three weeks, and also feed with kelp and humic acid solutions. For trees with poor roots, low concentration and more often foliar feedings helps it grows.

roberthu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
For a weak tree like this, the problem was most likely with the roots. So I had to encourage root growth in a new free draining soil and with enough air space to restore its health. Since I am in Zone 9 with a very hot summer, I use 50% akadama and 50% of lava and pumice, a wetter mix than the usual Boon mix. First year, I replaced front half of the old soil with new soil, and sprinkled the roots with store bought mycorrhizae. I replaced the back half of the soil the second year.

Besides using organic fertilizer, I supplement with foliar feeding using Monty's Joy-Juice at 1/4 teaspoon/gallon concentration about once every two-three weeks, and also feed with kelp and humic acid solutions. For trees with poor roots, low concentration and more often foliar feedings helps it grows.
Nice!
Do you also mix kelp or seaweed in your foliar spray? Or was it just fertilizer with NPK? Thank you.

Top Bottom