oak bonsai

sportlaan

Seedling
Reaction score
Hey :D
I am new to the art of bonsai and I love 1 specific tree extra much : the european oak.
I would want to make a bonsai oak tree and I'm planning to buy this one http://www.bonsai.de/shop/product_info2.php?products_id=7461
however in the cultivation part stands that it needs to be outside
and have the changes of the seasons.
I can't put it outside so...
would it die if i keep it inside?
and also what would I have to do to give it a thick trunk and keep it bonsai as I'm totally new?
do any of you maybe have one european oak u don't want any more that is more suitable than this sapling?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Welcome.
You will not be able to keep this tree indoors. Your changes of seasons will not be a problem for this tree, as long as you can give it adequate winter protection. If you want an indoor tree, I would suggest a ficus.

What are your winter conditions like where you are?

sportlaan

Seedling
Reaction score
Welcome.
You will not be able to keep this tree indoors. Your changes of seasons will not be a problem for this tree, as long as you can give it adequate winter protection. If you want an indoor tree, I would suggest a ficus.

What are your winter conditions like where you are?

It isn't that I thougt that the changes of the seisons are a problem but that they are nessesairy
I don't have space outside to keep it and I want a oak as bonsai do u have any solution to my problem?

AlBooBoo

Mame
Reaction score
Dont think there are any solution if you cant have it outside.. do you have a cellar you can have it in to "fake" a winter ? or else.. like judy said.. get a ficus :D

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
The only realistic solution if you want an oak bonsai is to find a place where you can grow it outdoors- otherwise you'll just kill it.

sportlaan

Seedling
Reaction score
The only realistic solution if you want an oak bonsai is to find a place where you can grow it outdoors- otherwise you'll just kill it.
ok but what is the reason for this need of seisons?

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Its a tree that needs the seasons for it life cycle.
winter- rest
spring- awaking new growth
summer -growth -
fall- putting the effects of summer growth to work developing trunk and branch wood, losing spent leaves, preparing for dormancy

Someone else can give you all the scienctific reasons but this is basically it.

sportlaan

Seedling
Reaction score
so I understand it will be impossible to keep it inside but what would actually happen if it would be kept inside?

sportlaan

Seedling
Reaction score
I mean how will it die like the roots start rotting or the leaves slowly become incapeble of doing photosynthesis,...?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I mean how will it die like the roots start rotting or the leaves slowly become incapeble of doing photosynthesis,...?

You read my post above? What happens if you do not sleep? You will weaken slowly...then you start fading away.

sportlaan

Seedling
Reaction score
You read my post above? What happens if you do not sleep? You will weaken slowly...then you start fading away.

I did read your post but my question is how would it die ,what would the cause of it's death be?
it can't be what we would see as a lack of sleep becous there also is an existance of tropical plants who don't have "a sleep period" in there life(and sleep is there for creatures with brains).
I think the big cause of death would be as I said the plant would lose it's photosynthesis becous the leaves slowly woult lose the small organisms within who do the photosynthesis for them naturally it would remake them every year.
I asked it becous I am not sure this Idea of me is correct.

Are ther any kinds of oaks wich don't need this "sleep" as you would call it?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Sleep is used as analogy for simplicity. If you missed it...what will cause the death is the slow weakening for not getting their proper rest/recovery cycle.

Just like bears hibernate and we don't, deciduous trees need that "hibernation" while tropicals are okay with just the nightly "sleep". They are wired differently so to speak. Bonsaibp already listed it in a manner closer to the tree cycle.

Re: oak, it is best to check what is local to you and work with those.

Good luck!

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
LAck of ultraviolet light, lack of changes in hours of sunlight and darkness, lack of tempature variation, lack of humidity, lack of air flow, lack of cold , etc. all will make it decline and eventually die.
Instead of focusing on something that will kill a tree why not focus on a tree you could keep under your conditions?

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
In our state of Florida Oak, Live Quercus virginiana act as a tropical could probably be kept indoors if it came from there. There is a dealership called Wigert's in North Fort Myers that sells them. Your solution is obtaining one from a place in the deeper south like that place. ;)

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
In our state of Florida Oak, Live Quercus virginiana act as a tropical could probably be kept indoors if it came from there. There is a dealership called Wigert's in North Fort Myers that sells them. Your solution is obtaining one from a place in the deeper south like that place. ;)

He's in Belgium. And I seriously doubt you could keep a southern live oak alive for any length of time. Just because it's evergreen and grows in FL doesn't mean it's tropical.

sportlaan

Seedling
Reaction score
ok thanks!
so I asked the question on a sceince forum i'm a part off
and the answer from user Cogito Ergo Sum was :
I Googled a bit about (Bonsai) trees and found some answers.

Trees do not sleep, but their metabolism changes with the day-night cycle.
Yet, trees do exhibit an internal clock which tells them to "go asleep" (i.e. stop growing and preparing for harsh conditions).
If they are not exposed to the seasonal changes, then this can be fatal (just as extreme sleep deprivation can lead to your death).

Furthermore, you cannot grow bonsai trees into your house unless it are (sub)tropical Bonsai trees:
"The most important reason (...), is that temperate trees need a period of dormancy (in winter). In this period the yearly growth cycle ends, and the tree prepares for the next cycle which will start again in early spring. A tree becomes dormant when temperatures and light intensity gradually decrease over the course of several weeks, which wouldn’t happen when you keep your trees indoors."

Tropical Bonsai trees can be grown inside because they are used to high and stable temperatures.

Sources:
Dormancy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Indoor Bonsai trees, general care guidelines - Bonsai Empire

wich is +/- the same as your answer

btw i live in belgium so there are a lot of european oaks but as u Explained this is impossible :(
*update I had this tab open and didn't refresh so I didn't see u guys already knew i live in belgium

Last edited:

sportlaan

Seedling
Reaction score
Ok i might be able to convince my parents to let me have it outside however the tree will have to be better formed and can't cost too much
Are there any of u guys willing to sell one ( budget 50€)
Who live close enough to belgium to not let the tree suffer to much?

Top Bottom