Oak seedling! Need an explanation!

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can anyone explain why those oak seedlings have the bulbs? Thanks.
Bonhe

Attachments

• oak.jpg
    oak.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 134

timhanson81

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is really odd. I've grown many acorns and have never seen anything like that before. Do you know what species of Oak it is?

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Here is one of my seedlings

Here is one of my seedlings, now 3 or 4 years old. It kept this swelling and now has a lovely taper to the trunk at a whopping 3 inches tall. I have no idea what kind it is, I just pulled it out of the ground like a weed and planted it (and several others).

IMG_0620.jpg IMG_0622.jpg IMG_0624.jpg IMG_0626.jpg

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Can you check if the "shell" still have the seed in it or if it is empty?

I am thinking he bulb is the seed itself that was ejected from the shell coating and that you have 2 trunks-one is out as you see, the other is still wearing the coating like a helpmet (just a guess).

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can anyone explain why those oak seedlings have the bulbs? Thanks.
Bonhe

Interesting. I just did a little research and learned a new word while I was at it. Evidently, oaks usually have a hypogeous emergence pattern, which means that the cotyledons produce roots and leaf stems that emerge from the cotyledons and grow in their respective directions. This means that as they grow, we should see a stem and root both emerging from the cotyledons. Since the common emergence point for the leaf stem and roots in your picture is that bulb that you have there, I would suspect that that is the cotyledons, and if you open up the seed shell, you'll find that it's empty, as the cotyledons have been pushed out. That's just my guess.

Reference page: Seedling Emergence Patterns

edit: basically what Dario said, except it's just one "trunk" (the other is a root).

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That is really interesting!
Generally, the cotyledons remain in the shell and feed the radicle which differentiates into roots and the shoot. It looks like the 'bulb' is some sort of carbohydrate storage structure.
If you gently peel the shell away, you should find the partially spent cotyledons.

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I suppose, when the image is viewed at its large size, those seed coatings aren't showing enough crack for the cotyledons to have accidentally slipped out. That bulge does sort of look like a potato, doesn't it?

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wonder if it's intracellular mycorrhizal fungus (similar to ectomycorrhizal fungus discussed in this article) ...

... maybe it's truffles!

Last edited:

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is really odd. I've grown many acorns and have never seen anything like that before. Do you know what species of Oak it is?
I think it is live oak acorn!

It looks like the 'bulb' is some sort of carbohydrate storage structure.
It is what I'm thinking!
The shell was removed. The cotyledons remains in the shell!
Bonhe

Attachments

• oak1.jpg
    oak1.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 42

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
I believe mine is live oak as well. Like I said mine has kept the swelling and it is now barking up pretty nicely. It also has radial roots coming out from it. Odd but cool.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I believe mine is live oak as well. Like I said mine has kept the swelling and it is now barking up pretty nicely. It also has radial roots coming out from it. Odd but cool.

It is great when you learn something new. :)

I have a small Live Oak (my only one for now) with similar base bulge as posted by Clyde. True, it is odd but cool LOL. It is about 2" dia though the main trunk above it is less than 1/2" IIRC. The bulbous base has nice crackly bark already. :cool: I am trying to improve the transition area (right now it is almost like a graft) to be better by having more branches there and induce swelling.

I'll try to snap a pic later and post.

Thanks!

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The shell was removed. The cotyledons remains in the shell!

I'm kinda sad you chopped it up. :( I would have just looked in or split the shell casing to investigate but let the growth so it can still be planted. I guess you have several so it is okay.

The bright side is that you shared and several people learned from it. :)

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
As promised. A pic of my live oak w/ a bulged base taken last month. It has multiple buds now. :)
View attachment 32252

As purchased, before the chop. I am re-hydrating it here since it tumbled all around my in-laws truck bed and lost most of its soil during a 6 hr trip to Austin (w/o me). Obviously it survived but I was shocked when I first saw it. I could have lost a $8.00 tree! :eek: :p
View attachment 32253

Last edited:

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I can see yours have lot of potential!

I'm kinda sad you chopped it up. :( I would have just looked in or split the shell casing to investigate but let the growth so it can still be planted. I guess you have several so it is okay.

The bright side is that you shared and several people learned from it. :)
Don't worry Poink88 because it's not mine! ;-) . It belongs to one of my friend. I collected about 1000 acorns this January, then sent them to my friends who are living in Vietnam. We form a relative large bonsai group in VN and I have sent quite a bit of JBP seeds, oak seeds, olive, pomegranate since those trees are quite new in tropical areas. So far, they have been doing great there.
As promised. A pic of my live oak w/ a bulged base taken last month. It has multiple buds now. :)
View attachment 32252

As purchased, before the chop. I am re-hydrating it here since it tumbled all around my in-laws truck bed and lost most of its soil during a 6 hr trip to Austin (w/o me). Obviously it survived but I was shocked when I first saw it. I could have lost a $8.00 tree! :eek: :p
View attachment 32253
ha, you're lucky!.
Bonhe

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So, I was potting some cork oak seedlings today and found they all had a bulbous tap root just below the soil surface. This thread was timely. You come up with some of the most interesting and informative stuff Bonhe. I look forward to what is next.

Attachments

• corkOakRoot_anno.jpg
    corkOakRoot_anno.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 24

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So, I was potting some cork oak seedlings today and found they all had a bulbous tap root just below the soil surface. This thread was timely. You come up with some of the most interesting and informative stuff Bonhe. I look forward to what is next.

I transplanted my cork oak seedling last year and didn't see this phenomenon!
Your tree has interesting bulbous tap root!
Bonhe

Top Bottom