Of roots and chops....

Cheers guys, think when I get tired of looking at the fresh soil I may put some chopped up sphagnum(with care) on the surface purely to help with the long, hot and windy summer ahead.
Seems like it may help with retaining moisture.

Cheers guys, think when I get tired of looking at the fresh soil I may put some chopped up sphagnum(with care) on the surface purely to help with the long, hot and windy summer ahead.
Seems like it may help with retaining moisture.

Nice!

I don't know what flavor your winter is...

But if I leave sphagnum anywhere near an elm root over winter, the root dies.

Winter soil cleanup.
@Adair M soji? Yes?

Sorce

But if I leave sphagnum anywhere near an elm root over winter, the root dies.

Interesting, any idea why that is?

We have mild winters here, no frost at all this year, it's possible but would only be a few nights.

I can take it or leave it really, not even summer yet so I should worry about then if it is that much of an issue.

That would make sense, the cold probably isn't a big issue for me, anyway I'm really impressed so far with new soils water holding ability compared to the dirt it was in so maybe it wont be as big an issue. It's probably better to build some wind protection and create a proper bonsai area.

I don't think it'll be a big issue either!

Sorry to freak ya out!

Sorce

The Ficus is doing fine, it can probably do with a trim but other than that it held up well over winter.
The Serissa I thought was dead and has white powdery crap in the roots, no smell though. I chopped it back and all the branches were still green but unless it starts budding soon it may be too far gone.
And the Olive I will likely chop back and whack in a colander soon for a season.

Your gonna have a cool scar. Just hope you didnt damage the nerves too much!
I like Adair's idea for the chop, it creates movement that is lost with the other side there. It surely can be a nice tree someday..

Actually the top layer of skin with the scar fell off and it doesn't look too bad, I have a matching albeit smaller scar right next to it where I did exactly the same thing but with an orange as a kid. Stitches were involved then too. lol
I have full movement though but my finger is a tad numb on the side so I hope that improves, then again it may not.

I'm going to let the tree recover and get used to dealing with the foliage and growth and take it from there.

Back
Top Bottom