One of my favorite pots

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This was my Christmas present for myself, just picked it up today.
It's very imposing, I quite like it plus it has a lions face carved on the bottom.

View attachment 222994View attachment 222995View attachment 222996
Very interesting pot. Looks like concrete...but it’s pottery I believe. How big...or small...is this one. The vertical line structure is interesting....reminds me of a washed down clip of a clay mountainside. Mighty fine!

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Very interesting pot. Looks like concrete...but it’s pottery I believe. How big...or small...is this one. The vertical line structure is interesting....reminds me of a washed down clip of a clay mountainside. Mighty fine!

Hi, yes it is fully fired stoneware and is 130mm tall and 110mm wide so a nice little size. It is a pot by Thor Holvila and as you say it has this concrete look and feel to it, he revisits the style from time to time and this one certainly feels less structured and free flowing but still harsh and rugged. Definitely like this one.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hi, yes it is fully fired stoneware and is 130mm tall and 110mm wide so a nice little size. It is a pot by Thor Holvila and as you say it has this concrete look and feel to it, he revisits the style from time to time and this one certainly feels less structured and free flowing but still harsh and rugged. Definitely like this one.
Very nice....and much smaller than I imagined. To me it looked like it was about 280mm tallat least. I imagined it as a much larger size cascade pot. But I do have a tendency to always think in terms of larger size trees overall. Well done on the photography...you fooled me quite well.

D

Deleted member 21616

my fascination with koyo's blue oribe continues... the crazing on this one is mesmerizing. got lost in it last night and an hour blew by!

my first octagon - all the angles really make it difficult to photograph!

Would any pot-makers or chemists (@Roy Minarai ? - asking because i'm familiar with your dynamic blue glazes o_O) know why Aiba Kouichirou's blue oribe pots have a rim along the bottom (the foot usually) where the glaze is darker, and the silver 'speckles' are 'blotchier'? I'm asking because I noticed that there are some Juko pots where the entire pot is dark blue with bigger blotches of silver (see attached example pic taken from web).

Could this be an air flow issue? Less flow near the foot of the pot, and in some cases the entire pot gets less air flow given it's placement in the massive walk-in kiln?

as an aside, his green oribe tends to develop a darker stripe along the bottom: https://bonsaiprelude.wordpress.com/2014/01/23/glazed-and-confused/

Maybe a similar phenomenon?

Thank you!
Derek

IMG_6766.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6769.JPG
    IMG_6769.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 12
  • images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    8.1 KB · Views: 12

-norwegian_blue-

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Well, here is a bit of an odd bird. I've been looking for an example of what I call a "Tofu drunken pot". From time to time, Tofukuji would make pots and stamp the hell out of them. Out of the blue, I found this Tofu Jr., so I had it flown over forthwith. As you can see, Jr. used many of his father's stamps, in addition to his own. It's not much to look at, but I enjoy its quirkiness. Now, to find a similar Sr. pot to complete the "father/son set". :)

_thumb1.jpg

_thumb5.jpg

_thumb6.jpg

_thumb7.jpg

_thumb4.jpg

Last edited:

Roy Minarai

Sapling
Reaction score
my fascination with koyo's blue oribe continues... the crazing on this one is mesmerizing. got lost in it last night and an hour blew by!

my first octagon - all the angles really make it difficult to photograph!

Would any pot-makers or chemists (@Roy Minarai ? - asking because i'm familiar with your dynamic blue glazes o_O) know why Aiba Kouichirou's blue oribe pots have a rim along the bottom (the foot usually) where the glaze is darker, and the silver 'speckles' are 'blotchier'? I'm asking because I noticed that there are some Juko pots where the entire pot is dark blue with bigger blotches of silver (see attached example pic taken from web).

Could this be an air flow issue? Less flow near the foot of the pot, and in some cases the entire pot gets less air flow given it's placement in the massive walk-in kiln?

as an aside, his green oribe tends to develop a darker stripe along the bottom: https://bonsaiprelude.wordpress.com/2014/01/23/glazed-and-confused/

Maybe a similar phenomenon?

Thank you!
Derek

View attachment 226319
The reason for the darker color at the bottom is the glazed collects and pools up there, that is also why you see more crystallization there as well.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
To spare you the scrolling...here are my Tofu pots. Congrats on the new pickup Norwegian Blue.
View attachment 226440
ALMOST pulled the trigger on a very nice Tofu a few weeks ago.... came SO close.... stupid college tuition payments!!!!

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
A story related to the pots. TSA guy took out my carefully wrapped pots from my carry on and tossed one into one of their trays. I promptly chastised him and told him my pots were worth over a couple hundred bucks. He showed signs of regret, but no apology.

My advice, tell 'em to be careful and don't assume they'll treat it with care even when your stuff so obviously looks fragile, wrapped in newspaper and bubble wrap.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
A story related to the pots. TSA guy took out my carefully wrapped pots from my carry on and tossed one into one of their trays. I promptly chastised him and told him my pots were worth over a couple hundred bucks. He showed signs of regret, but no apology.

My advice, tell 'em to be careful and don't assume they'll treat it with care even when your stuff so obviously looks fragile, wrapped in newspaper and bubble wrap.
I would have not been very happy. I already resent the general “attitude” of the TSA here. Nice Tosuis, BTW.

D

Deleted member 21616

@Dav4 wow, who what can u say more?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
REALLY like that first Tofu, Dave! Welcome to the club.?
Thanks, Brian! It's been a long time coming, but I'm finally in! The first one is my favorite as well... the prototypical Tofukuji glaze that we all covet. I will say, though, that the second one is really very nice, too... a much more subtle glaze for a Tofu, but clearly his work, and the dimensions of the pot make it much more usable. Now, to find a tree that deserves to be in it...

Top Bottom