One of my favorite pots

D

Deleted member 21616

another one of life's mysteries:

here is a koyo - the mystery isn't in the floral relief, that's common enough

the mystery is in the missing koyo stamp! o_O

i'm wondering if he chose not to add the stamp due to a fragile bottom? The 3rd and 4th photo show the grave indentation that the bottom of this pot has (I have never seen a koyo with an indentation this severe). In the second photo, you can see a horizontal line right under the signature that goes right across the pot - there is a serious groove here, which could not be intentional

the signature too, seems awfully careful and lacks a lot of the details and the loose free-handed feel that Aiba Kouichirou's signatures usually have

not sure how the assembly/signature/firing process works - maybe this is a complete non-sense theory LOL anybody have any ideas?IMG_8008.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_8010.jpg
    IMG_8010.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_8012.jpg
    IMG_8012.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_8013.jpg
    IMG_8013.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 41
Reaction score
Could it be that this isn't an Aiba Koyo? Or maybe it might be an early one? Or something special? Maybe made during a certain mood or something? I know my signatures aren't always the same.
Have you asked the master himself yet? Or maybe MRB or Juko? Interesting tho!

D

Deleted member 21616

Could it be that this isn't an Aiba Koyo? Or maybe it might be an early one? Or something special? Maybe made during a certain mood or something? I know my signatures aren't always the same.
Have you asked the master himself yet? Or maybe MRB or Juko? Interesting tho!

thanks for the ideas!

Ya, MRB and others confirmed it’s an AIBA Kouichirou, but everything else is in the realm of speculation

i didn’t reach out to Koyo directly about this one, because i didn’t want it to seem (maybe through the translation apps that we use) that i was inquiring into a design fault or something like that. I felt uncomfortable even simply asking why there was no stamp, again because translation can be tricky and joyous inquiry can easily come across as interogation

Reaction score
thanks for the ideas!

Ya, MRB and others confirmed it’s an AIBA Kouichirou, but everything else is in the realm of speculation

i didn’t reach out to Koyo directly about this one, because i didn’t want it to seem (maybe through the translation apps that we use) that i was inquiring into a design fault or something like that. I felt uncomfortable even simply asking why there was no stamp, again because translation can be tricky and joyous inquiry can easily come across as interogation

Ah yes, I understand. Please let me know when you find out, getting quite curious myself too :)

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
another one of life's mysteries:

here is a koyo - the mystery isn't in the floral relief, that's common enough

the mystery is in the missing koyo stamp! o_O

i'm wondering if he chose not to add the stamp due to a fragile bottom? The 3rd and 4th photo show the grave indentation that the bottom of this pot has (I have never seen a koyo with an indentation this severe). In the second photo, you can see a horizontal line right under the signature that goes right across the pot - there is a serious groove here, which could not be intentional

the signature too, seems awfully careful and lacks a lot of the details and the loose free-handed feel that Aiba Kouichirou's signatures usually have

not sure how the assembly/signature/firing process works - maybe this is a complete non-sense theory LOL anybody have any ideas?View attachment 231318
My large Chinese pot is like that. I was assuming it was to help water drain to the holes.
Eimei!IMG_20190311_212711_711.jpg

D

Deleted member 21616

My large Chinese pot is like that. I was assuming it was to help water drain to the holes.

I thought it was that when i had only seen photos, but once i had it in person it was clear that this one didn't have the smooth parabolic arch, but a severe groove that ran across the bottom, and nowhere near the middle of the pot

bope

love the glaze on that eimei!

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Top Bottom