One-seed juniper yamadori (Juniperus monosperma)

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I collected this wild tree from my land four years ago. I started working it while in the ground in September of 2013, just watering and reducing the trunks. It stood about six feet tall prior to trunk chop. I collected it in April of 2014.
fullsizeoutput_46.jpeg
Trunk chop:
IMG_4063.JPG
On the advice of my mentor at the time (not my current teacher), I broke the second trunk to create a shari. I'd do it differently now.IMG_4071.JPG
IMG_4192.JPG
It had been growing with a piñon which had been killed by bark beetles. They often grow together.IMG_1293.JPGIMG_1300.JPG

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Potted March of 2016:IMG_2643.JPG
IMG_2644.JPGIMG_2645.JPG
IMG_2647.JPG
Foliage reduction and minor structural setting August of 2016:
IMG_3092.JPG
Foliage reduction and major structural setting April of 2017:
IMG_3790.JPG
Appearance in May of 2018:
IMG_5905.JPG

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice work. I’ll admit I could see where it was going until after the styling, but now I can see how it will get better and better with time. You have a lot of wood to work with in the future. I’m not familiar with the species, but the foliage looks nice and suitable. No rush, and i’m Not pushing the idea, but maybe the left side will become the apex in the future and reduce the right side to a branch or two?

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Nice work. I’ll admit I could see where it was going until after the styling, but now I can see how it will get better and better with time. You have a lot of wood to work with in the future. I’m not familiar with the species, but the foliage looks nice and suitable. No rush, and i’m Not pushing the idea, but maybe the left side will become the apex in the future and reduce the right side to a branch or two?
Thanks for the input. It will definitely undergo changes in the second and third stylings. I’ll just have to see what the tree has to offer at the time.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
There's going to come a point with this tree I think you are going to want to keep what is now the right side of the tree and think of jining out the entire left side of the tree and work on the stump. This is just a stylistic opinion and means nothing, what you are doing is not wrong, just different. Just offering a different idea.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
There's going to come a point with this tree I think you are going to want to keep what is now the right side of the tree and think of jining out the entire left side of the tree and work on the stump. This is just a stylistic opinion and means nothing, what you are doing is not wrong, just different. Just offering a different idea.

I agree. Just a little peek a boo branch breaking from the right side back to the left from behind to give it some depth. At present your eye is flung in 2 separate directions which interrupts flow.

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I agree. Just a little peek a boo branch breaking from the right side back to the left from behind to give it some depth. At present your eye is flung in 2 separate directions which interrupts flow.
That’s a definite possibility for the future. For now, I pushed the tree as far as I dared, removing about 70% of the foliage. Also, I’m drawing inspiration from their natural growth habit, which includes branches growing out of the tops of other branches and spreading out laterally with an undulating movement. I do want to get the image more compact in the future, but it will retain a naturalistic style.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
That’s a definite possibility for the future. For now, I pushed the tree as far as I dared, removing about 70% of the foliage. Also, I’m drawing inspiration from their natural growth habit, which includes branches growing out of the tops of other branches and spreading out laterally with an undulating movement. I do want to get the image more compact in the future, but it will retain a naturalistic style.

Always best to err on the side of caution. No rush like Vance says - it's not a race. The impatient tend to have many a tree in the firewood style :)

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
Hey PJ, looking at the tree more today, my one comment is that pulling a branch or two back into the open space between the trunks later may be pertinent. As those pads thicken and grow, that negative space will become more pronounced. Worst case, it could end up looking like two one sided trees with an open area to fly an airplane through. I understand you have pushed the tree and want recovery, so you can take the time to digest all our comments. A good start to this one. A lot of personal satisfaction bringing a tree along from beginning collection. Have fun.

Boris

Seedling
Reaction score
nice progression. This morning I was looking a similar Juniper near Abiquiu, with all the 'straight' part naturally made a jin

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just finished a mild re-style, starting to pull the left side in more and letting the right extend. Next spring it will go into a shallower pot.
View attachment 256166
It def looks healthy J!! But, if you don’t mind me saying, there is something conflicting about the design to me. Like its trying to be something it’s not. There’s is no particular flow to the asymmetry just yet. But maybe with time and thickening of pads it’ll start to show it’s true colors.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It just seems like some of those branches on the right want to be divided up a bit to carry your eye from right to left in the space outlined. The 2 sides compete for attention. I know your not done though, and I’m sure you e got a plan. 256188

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
For sure, the design doesn’t flow well yet. I was happy to get the left side more compact, but I held back on a major structural change. If it shows strong growth after next spring’s re-pot, I’ll do a major re-style in the summer. Some more branches will need to be removed on the left and some of the foliage at the back, as well, so that a sense of depth is maintained, but it doesn’t distract from the rest of the tree.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That top spike Jin is too heavy. If it were thinner, tapered down, I think it would help to make the tree more in proportion with itself. Right now, it looks too “forced” and artificial. I think with a bit of work, you can improve it a lot!

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
That top spike Jin is too heavy. If it were thinner, tapered down, I think it would help to make the tree more in proportion with itself. Right now, it looks too “forced” and artificial. I think with a bit of work, you can improve it a lot!
Thanks for the input! Both jins will be worked more when the structural wire comes off.

Top Bottom