"Overcoming mid-day senescence" via irrigation-timing? (IE *dramatically* increased growth rates)

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I would imagine that effect tapers off significantly shortly after evaporation.

I wish there was an easy answer to this question, but I am not aware of one. Some plants have the ability to respond more quickly to environmental conditions, some don't. So it depends on the tree... and the environment in which it is growing. You could take one tree species and grow it in a hot dry environment, and it would respond differently than if you took the same tree and grew it in a cool humid environment.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I wish there was an easy answer to this question

There is not, but I found a couple of interesting things with some quick Google research. This study describes observing that, within 10 minutes after leaf drying, most species actually significantly increased their rates of photosynthesis. The magnitude of the dip in photosynthesis while wet appeared linked to the climate conditions each species was adapted to. So yes, results will vary, but this at least seems to suggest that wetting leaves does result in a temporary bump in photosynthesis.

Incidentally, though I don't have the link handy, I saw another study that said leaves kept continuously wet for 24 hours or more had permanently lower rates of photosynthesis. Probably due to a buildup of gas damaging the plant tissues while the stomata are closed, I would think.

Top Bottom