Penjing a little beauty

Reaction score
Have a look at this little chinese elm grown and owned by a 78 year old chinese guy.

Grant

Attachments

• IMG_3834 - Copy - Copy.JPG
    IMG_3834 - Copy - Copy.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 328

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Really quite nice!

My favorite books in recent years, the only ones I actually ever look at anymore, are a few obscure volumes full of Penjing from Mainland China that I've been lucky enough to find. The best are entirely, or almost entirely, in Chinese. No words are necessary, and I can look at them for hours. They never cease to move and inspire me.

Thanks for posting that.

Reaction score
The man is quite old and very traditional chinese although he has been in Australia 40 years.

His trees were great and better than a lot of trees I was seeing in books.

I am going back next May to photograph them in good controlled conditions with a translator and helpers.

Grant

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
More please!
I'd love to see more of these wonderful treasures.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Very cool tree. I would keep an eye on that soil. Doesn't appear to have been changed recently and I see a lot of mineral deposits in the moss.

Reaction score
Very cool tree. I would keep an eye on that soil. Doesn't appear to have been changed recently and I see a lot of mineral deposits in the moss.

He says he repots about every three years and does not over fertilize.

Melbourne had a weather event that is now known as Black Saturday. They had hot winds blowing in from the desert part of Australia and had temps up to 48 degrees c.(118 F)

The trees seem to have survived.

Grant

Reaction score
Here are a few more, both Chinese elms.

In fact most of his established Penjing are elms. he is experimenting with English elm and Hawthorn

Attachments

• IMG_3835%20-%20Copy.JPG
    IMG_3835%20-%20Copy.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_3836%20-%20Copy.JPG
    IMG_3836%20-%20Copy.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 186

jferrier

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Really quite nice!

My favorite books in recent years, the only ones I actually ever look at anymore, are a few obscure volumes full of Penjing from Mainland China that I've been lucky enough to find. The best are entirely, or almost entirely, in Chinese. No words are necessary, and I can look at them for hours. They never cease to move and inspire me.

Thanks for posting that.

My in-laws are Chinese. Why don't you ship all those books to me and I'll send you back the cliff notes!!!!!

Joedes3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the pictures. I really like the penjing settings. Can anyone recommend any books or web sites? Thanks Joe

Joedes3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the link. It is fantastic. and just shows me how much I don't know.

Reaction score
Hi all,

Here are some photos at the maximum size allowable. 3 more to come.

Grant

Attachments

• IMG_3834 - Copy - Copy.JPG
    IMG_3834 - Copy - Copy.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_3835 - Copy - Copy.JPG
    IMG_3835 - Copy - Copy.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_3836 - Copy - Copy.JPG
    IMG_3836 - Copy - Copy.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_3838 - Copy - Copy.JPG
    IMG_3838 - Copy - Copy.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_3843 - Copy - Copy.JPG
    IMG_3843 - Copy - Copy.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 94
Reaction score
Most of the trees are Chinese elm except for the flowering plum

Attachments

• IMG_3844 - Copy - Copy.JPG
    IMG_3844 - Copy - Copy.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_3853 - Copy - Copy.JPG
    IMG_3853 - Copy - Copy.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_3854 - Copy - Copy.JPG
    IMG_3854 - Copy - Copy.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 86

Kaztan

Seed
Reaction score
Why are you calling this tree a Penjing? this word surely describes a tray scenery or a tree with a rocky outcrop. Penjing is not a tree size.

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
I love these bonsai! Thanks for posting the pics Grant! There are few people who do bonsai quietly in their own world for years, like this Chinese gentleman in Australia. It is nice to find them once in a while. That's the essence of bonsai I think, that oneness between man and tree (not between man, tree, and a thousand bonsai bloggers;)). On a personal level, it doesn't matter what the tree looks like, as long as it pleases the man. He has no need to show it to anybody so he does not have conform to any society's standards. But his bonsai are all good, in a Chinese way. Very authentic! Thanks again for showing us his work. I especially like that cascade!
Si

Joedes3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great response! I once had a group planting that I loved. I brought it to a local bonsai club and was told that it didn't comply with the rules for group(forest) plantings.

Another member told me that it looked great and that as long as I was happy with it not to worry. I did not plan to show it. The group was something that I liked because it reminded me of an area of a forest that I walked through as a kid.

I now feel, if YOU like it, go ahead and enjoy.

Joe

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Hi Joe, what most inexperienced bonsai people don't know is that a "bad" bonsai design often does not have to be redesigned, especially if it's a new planting. Take good care of it for 30 years, let it grow out, clip back, fill in some negative spaces with branches, develop some age and patina, and it will be beautiful. That's what this Chinese gentleman did. Now if you don't have 30 years, or if you must have an instant bonsai, then by all means, rip it out and do it over again. There's nothing wrong with that either. The trick is to know when your design is good enough and don't have any fatal flaws that would get worse over time. But to a typical Chinese bonsai artist, there is even no such thing as a fatal flaw to a tree, because they like all the weird lines, the weirder the better. Some time it works some time it doesn't. It's a lot harder that it looks.

Last edited:

Joedes3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello SI

I love reading your posts. You offer tremendous insight to this hobby. I do this for personal enjoyment and try to follow the RULES but I now feel that I have to like what I'm doing first.

I love the hobby because it teaches patience and gives me an opportunity to imagine. The masters of this hobby are true artists and I will most likely never come close to their accomplishments. Neither I will ever be able to paint a Picaso etc. but when I look at my grandchidrens' paintings, I get a good feeling.

Yes, there are rules, but sometimes people go over the top. Bottom line, enjoy yourself in the journey of bonsai. It isn't the destination, it's the journey.

Thanks again for your insight and posts.

Top Bottom