Perforated sheet pan as a forest development pot

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm trying my new perforated trays, https://www.webstaurantstore.com/18...d-glazed-aluminum-sheet-pan/407HALFFPERF.html as a forest development pot. I'm using some Metrosideros that I've grown from seeds, about 6 years old now. They're pretty tough, evergreen deciduous trees. I expect them to put up with almost anything. The perforations let me put support ties anywhere, and of course result in great drainage. If this works well I'll try some oaks and maples in the spring.

tray 1.jpgtray 3.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice....

What I like most is the glasses on The tray.
Really makes it look like you put a lot of thought into this! Looks wicked smart!

Sorce

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
My banyan style dwarf schefflera is growing in one of these since the spring. So far it has done well. I may move a willow leaf forest to one next spring. The pans I found have solid sides with the entire bottom perforated.

Crawforde

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Excellent idea.
those look cool.
I am going to search some out.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It does look like a fine idea.
I know aluminum is toxic to some plants and it might be good to check.

A quick search shows they can be pretty costly.

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
From what I've read, aluminum only becomes toxic to plants in very acidic soils, pH < 5 , or 5.5 depending on the reference.

My perforated 18" x 26.5" x 1" pans were about $10 each from a restaurant supply store. I also use the solid pans as drip trays for tropicals during the winter, they were about $8 each. This was several years ago, prices have probably gone up.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
From what I've read, aluminum only becomes toxic to plants in very acidic soils, pH < 5 , or 5.5 depending on the reference.

My perforated 18" x 26.5" x 1" pans were about $10 each from a restaurant supply store. I also use the solid pans as drip trays for tropicals during the winter, they were about $8 each. This was several years ago, prices have probably gone up.
That is right about the pH.
I am considering them for me young elms.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It does look like a fine idea.
I know aluminum is toxic to some plants and it might be good to check.

A quick search shows they can be pretty costly.
Depends on size. Mine were normally $25 each, ordered for work. But they arrive damaged so I got them for free.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm trying my new perforated trays, https://www.webstaurantstore.com/18...d-glazed-aluminum-sheet-pan/407HALFFPERF.html as a forest development pot. I'm using some Metrosideros that I've grown from seeds, about 6 years old now. They're pretty tough, evergreen deciduous trees. I expect them to put up with almost anything. The perforations let me put support ties anywhere, and of course result in great drainage. If this works well I'll try some oaks and maples in the spring.

View attachment 409050View attachment 409051
How did this end up working out? Really like the idea. :)

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Another follow up: my banyan dwarf schefflera suffered in our hell summer this year. The very shallow soil with excellent drainage dried out too quickly and soil temperatures got too high. I should have moved it into shade sooner. So be careful using the perforated pans in extremely hot and dry conditions. Schefflera is going back into a 2" deep tray next year.

Top Bottom