Pinching Vance Wood: the challenge

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I thought the pinching was done further down, but it is just the tips (2-4 scales).
Is the video being processed in HD? I would like to see a bit better.
I wouldn't mind reading Adair's and Brian's comments.

Thanks for the vid anyway.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Vance, your scissors technique is spot on!

My objection is the pinching you do to the top of the canopy.

You stated that the bottom of the tree is weak, whereas the top was strong and dense. And that maybe someone would come along and tell you "what you're doing wrong".

I guess that's going to be me.

You need to stop pinching the top of the canopy, and continue to use your scissors to thin it out more. About 50 percent more. The bottom is being shaded out by the top canopy.

Look at this apex:

image.jpg

See how the foliage is open? See how sunlight can pierce thru and hit the brown twigs below? That's what you want. You don't want a super dense canopy!

How it look from the side? (The previous pic was taken from above).

image.jpg

It looks full from the side.

But look at the lower branches. They're full and strong, too! Not weak and spindly like yours. That's because sunlight is able to pierce the upper canopy and reach the lower branches.

So, rather than pinch the top, THIN that upper canopy. Using your scissors like you do.

You say "pinching works". I suppose it does if what you want is a super dense canopy. The problem is a super dense canopy is the wrong goal! You should be striving for an open canopy that LOOKS dense, but is actually very open!

Txhorticulture

Chumono
Reaction score
Well he said he'd post a video and he did. After 11 pages of build up it was bound to be anticlimactic. Unless Vance turned out to be a hot top less girl who did her bonsai naked.

For the next video I'd like to see Vance and BVF bare knuckle box, or at least arm wrestle. Or if some one sneaks up on BVF at a bonsai event and gives him a wedgie and posts that video I'll mail him or her 20 dollars.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So Adair...this may have got lost in the shuffle along the way. How does one maintain the pad at roughly the same size/shape over time? The entire pad will continue to grow and expand. It looks like the process is to trim out the areas that extend further out (or grow faster), but everything else is still growing. So what do you do...does the openness of the pad encourage backbudding and new growth within that gradually replaces the stuff further out? Or does the pad just continuously expand, eventually requiring a significant cut back/restyle?

Maybe I'm not expressing my question clearly...I can try again if so, let me know.

Chris

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So what do you do...does the openness of the pad encourage backbudding and new growth within that gradually replaces the stuff further out?

Chris

Yes. Eventually the branch gets too long. Cut it back to a side branch and wire it into position to be a new terminal. Same with pines.

Which is why we want backbudding in the interior. To maintain a supply of new branches to replace the old ones.

Bonsai is a process of continuous renewal and rejuvenation. We repot every few years replacing the old soil with new, removing old roots, and letting new ones grow.

Same with branches. Maybe we don't regrow the primary branches off the trunk, but the secondary branches get cut back and re grown.

michaelj

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
The funniest part (and this is true of at least of couple of Vance's videos) is the vocal imitations of the people who say whatever it is he is refuting at the time.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Vance- thank you- truly.
I know it takes time and effort to show us this way. You're passion for this hobby shows in the trees you produce and the care that you give them.
It would've been ok with me if you would've abandoned this thread and posted it on a new one just to avoid the nonsense. I am happy for the video and it enhances my belief that my care is the proper technique. At least as proper as I can provide.
I have truly seen the shark attacks in this thread and for that I am truly sorry. Thank you sir -you are a gem.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
And this is why I will probably no longer do these videos. You cannot do anything around here without these idiots comming at you. Then when you point it out they say you are paranoid. Well guys: If you fall into that category you are probably void of an original idea and have all the evidence in the world to back that up. Where are your trees?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
The funniest part (and this is true of at least of couple of Vance's videos) is the vocal imitations of the people who say whatever it is he is refuting at the time.
Why don't you do the same thing? How many videos have you published? Do you have the guts to do that;---- knowing that there are people like you out there waiting to jump on you one minute and praise you another.

michaelj

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Sorry, dude, but I literally chuckle out loud when you break into your mugo pine detractor's voice.

And for now, I don't do videos. Haven't bothered to learn how.

I you want to see me on video, you have to go to TMZ.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Vance- thank you- truly.
I know it takes time and effort to show us this way. You're passion for this hobby shows in the trees you produce and the care that you give them.
It would've been ok with me if you would've abandoned this thread and posted it on a new one just to avoid the nonsense. I am happy for the video and it enhances my belief that my care is the proper technique. At least as proper as I can provide.
I have truly seen the shark attacks in this thread and for that I am truly sorry. Thank you sir -you are a gem.

Thank You. Your kindness goes much farther than the snarky remarks of some.

michaelj

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Not sure whether to call you out for reverting to name-calling and personal attacks, or be humbled by the fact that you ponder an abundance of questions about me, or be astounded that you are able to answer all those questions merely by knowing that the place to see me on YouTube is TMZ.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
And this is why I will probably no longer do these videos. You cannot do anything around here without these idiots comming at you. Then when you point it out they say you are paranoid. Well guys: If you fall into that category you are probably void of an original idea and have all the evidence in the world to back that up. Where are your trees?
Don't give up doing videos. There are more folks out there than you know about watching and learning from your instruction. Not everyone can drive to a club meeting or be an apprentice. People - most people- deserve to be able to see the beauty of bonsai and I know you believe that too. Continue forward my friend.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Is this directed at me?

I said I thought you were paranoid because you thought an emoticon was directed at you, when in fact it was directed at Frary.

I've made no snarky comments to you.

I complemented your scissors technique.

I've only said your pinching was unnecessary, and you should continue to thin using your scissors.

AND, I provided pictures from my tree of how it should be done.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Vance, your scissors technique is spot on!

My objection is the pinching you do to the top of the canopy.

You stated that the bottom of the tree is weak, whereas the top was strong and dense. And that maybe someone would come along and tell you "what you're doing wrong".

I guess that's going to be me.

You need to stop pinching the top of the canopy, and continue to use your scissors to thin it out more. About 50 percent more. The bottom is being shaded out by the top canopy.

Look at this apex:

View attachment 79741

See how the foliage is open? See how sunlight can pierce thru and hit the brown twigs below? That's what you want. You don't want a super dense canopy!

How it look from the side? (The previous pic was taken from above).

View attachment 79742

It looks full from the side.

But look at the lower branches. They're full and strong, too! Not weak and spindly like yours. That's because sunlight is able to pierce the upper canopy and reach the lower branches.

So, rather than pinch the top, THIN that upper canopy. Using your scissors like you do.

You say "pinching works". I suppose it does if what you want is a super dense canopy. The problem is a super dense canopy is the wrong goal! You should be striving for an open canopy that LOOKS dense, but is actually very open!
These trees are very beautiful btw and yes the canopy is lovely. A person like myself could only hope see these trees -let alone work on one. But yes your advice is solid and thank you for it. The canopy on the tree is open to allow sun to shine through to the bottom.
I can use this advice also.

Last edited:

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Now that's funny.
What's funny is he's trying to spell crony.
And choking chickens and stroking mugo pines are some of my favorite past times.
Do you cluck?
What is TMZ? Totally Moronic Zeroes?
I'm not up on all of the cartoon network shows. Does it come on after Scooby-Doo Doo?

Top Bottom