Pine bark maple

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So I found a nursery that sells pine bark maples not to far from where I live, so I called to see the price on them instead of wasting gas. The lady told me they are 65 or 70 she couldn’t remeber of the top of her head, she said they are 5ft and up. So my question is can they be trunk chopped and back bud or is it a lost cause for that and just try to find something smaller to work with?

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So I found a nursery that sells pine bark maples not to far from where I live, so I called to see the price on them instead of wasting gas. The lady told me they are 65 or 70 she couldn’t remeber of the top of her head, she said they are 5ft and up. So my question is can they be trunk chopped and back bud or is it a lost cause for that and just try to find something smaller to work with?

Sure, it's a maple - chop 'em and they'll almost certainly throw buds. But...they are probably grafted, so you might run the risk of only getting buds from the understock.

The other important issue is how high and how good the graft is. You might have to air-layer above the graft if it is too high or poorly done. If these are for the standard nursery trade chances are the graft will not be attractive.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
oops...bad post

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks, I am going one day this week to look at them I think she said they were in a 4-5 gallon container. Just trying to figure out if it’s worth the money, if so well merry Christmas to me. Got Christmas money and hey I’m buying things I want.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Rough bark Japanese maples do NOT bud back from drastic pruning. I have several stumps if you want to see them.
By the way, what is a Pine Bark Maple? which cultivar is it?
Is that after they develop the thick bark? Or are you saying they won't bud back even when the trunk is still green? As for the variety, I think he is referring to Nishiki gawa which I've seen listed as "pine bark maple".

It sounds like it may be similar to arakawa and that is readily available cutting grown from various sellers, so maybe he should look for that one.

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Rough bark Japanese maples do NOT bud back from drastic pruning. I have several stumps if you want to see them.
By the way, what is a Pine Bark Maple? which cultivar is it?
Bill, do they layer easily? Nishiki gawa or nishiki sho?

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow the maple man himself, i am honored by your input sir. I have seen your garden on YouTube and it is amazing, your maples are the best I have ever seen. The cultivar is a nishiki gawa, I would love to see what you have Bill. I hate to hear they do not back bud, hopefully she will have some smaller ones I can get.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Is that after they develop the thick bark? Or are you saying they won't bud back even when the trunk is still green? As for the variety, I think he is referring to Nishiki gawa which I've seen listed as "pine bark maple".

It sounds like it may be similar to arakawa and that is readily available cutting grown from various sellers, so maybe he should look for that one.

Rough bark Japanese maples do bud back just like any other maple until they develop the rough bark. At that point they will not.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Rough bark Japanese maples do bud back just like any other maple until they develop the rough bark. At that point they will not.
That makes sense and is consistent with what I've heard and read about them.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cool bark!! Thread graft your new branches. Graft? You'll need to learn proper propagation techniques...….

DSC00641 (1).JPG

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well if anything at least I can airlayer something to grow or take cuttings from. Thanks guys for the input.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Air-layering is a good option. You’ll have roots with the same characteristics, no graft union, and the chance to determine some movement and branches. Thread-grafting is a very reliable way to add branches.

This Arakawa was grown from an air-layer, and has several thread-grafted branches:
B4DEAAB8-F38D-4F26-88A7-BADB5FBEAFF6.jpeg

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is why I like this forum, to get the tips from the pros. Thank you. So I take it that nishiki gawa is basically the same as awakara just different variety, same rules apply? And I I took an airlayer I would do it close to the tip of a branch or the apex so that it would be closer to the taper, correct?

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes @LanceMac10 I am trying to learn how to propagate from cuttings now on some other maples I have, it’s a lot harder than it looks. I am going to buy a book called Reference manual of woody plant propagation, hopefully it is helpful. Plus I’m going to call a guy who owns a nursery and see if I can work for him part time and learn some things.

Top Bottom