Pink Lady

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Portulacaria and Portulaca are very different plants.
Portulaca is used like an annual in plantings that don't require much water, like hanging baskets. It is related to the wild weed purslane. It is a ground cover getting about 4 inches tall
Portulacaria is an African plant that I have heard can get 8 feet tall.

Last edited:

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
There is a Portulaca that is larger than the weed brought from Europe to America as an edible. We don't see it in nurseries around here, but I have seen reference to it from time to time as a hanging basket plant.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I see these every year at Lowes, Home Depot and all of the nurseries. I have planted it as an annual several times but I use the ones with solid color flowers. They come in white, red, pink, yellow, gold and bi-colors.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks guys!
No clue what I'm looking at here... gonna try to play with it as a tropical conversation starter.
It is grown as an annual and I have never seen it develop a woody stem. It doesn't like its roots disturbed. It needs about 6 hours of sun, more the better. It melts down quickly with a frost. It is toxic to dogs and cats.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
These are very hardy.
I planted some last year and threw it out as an annual. It came right back in spring and summer.
The critters here do eat it when the weather is dry. (Squirrels) Where ever a piece of it drops in your yard then you will have a plant next year. 😁

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
One of only native succulents in MA right there. I see it growing wild and whatnot. Cool flower on yours. It is vaguely related to p afra I thought I read somewhere

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Hmm....this is one part I was curious about.
I did some minor reading online and I see both that it's hardy and that it's an annual....
What!?!?!
Annuals can be hardy. Hardy does not just mean cold resistant. These are tough little drought resistant succulent annuals. They can grow in really dry areas and survive where many others cannot. That makes them hardy in my book. It also makes them weeds in many places and I spend a lot of time getting rid of the ones that grow here.
I was aware that it is eaten in some parts of the world - leaves and seed are both used - but did not know there were different colored cultivars.
One of only native succulents in MA right there. I see it growing wild and whatnot.
I find that very interesting because I was under the impression they are also native to Australia....???

Wikipedia Portulacca oleracea as having a wide distribution from Africa to Southern Europe, Middle East, India, Malasia and Australasia with some evidence it was also in North America prior to European settlement. It has been eaten by humans for many thousands of years so was probably transported by migrating people to all parts of the current range and has naturalized in all suitable habitats.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The Portulaca common is the US is not the pretty one, and it is a terrible weed will insignificant flowers, at least in Michigan.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hmm....this is one part I was curious about.
I did some minor reading online and I see both that it's hardy and that it's an annual....
What!?!?!
It is an annual because it does not tolerate the cold weather but it does either reseed itself well or the roots under the soil hold on and sprout again. Not sure which but it does come back. 😂

Top Bottom