Please Help with Coral Bark Maple

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I took pictures of all the main branches. The first two pictures are the branches from last night’s pictures.
The new photos show black bark on those dying branches. No way to save those now so they should be cut out below the black. The future is in the new living branches. Bonsai is often about changing and replacing existing growth so it is normal for us to prune branches.
I agree with the soil diagnosis. White salts buildup usually indicates chronic under watering. Soil needs to be thoroughly wet to the point of water running out of the drain holes every time it is watered to flush out unwanted waste. The pot should not permanently sit in a saucer of water except maybe really hot mid summer or short vacation.

Yona

Seedling
Reaction score
Thank you. I will cut them back ASAP and hope new branches will thicken. As well as take the saucer away.
The new photos show black bark on those dying branches. No way to save those now so they should be cut out below the black. The future is in the new living branches. Bonsai is often about changing and replacing existing growth so it is normal for us to prune branches.
I agree with the soil diagnosis. White salts buildup usually indicates chronic under watering. Soil needs to be thoroughly wet to the point of water running out of the drain holes every time it is watered to flush out unwanted waste. The pot should not permanently sit in a saucer of water except maybe really hot mid summer or short vacation

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Boil the frog... slowly..

It tricks them..

Turtles also..

I’m hungry..

Welcome, traveller! The Woody Dwarves extend branches out.. as it’s “hug hour”, here, in the Tiny Forest.

Pleasure to make your acquaintance!

Top Bottom