Please I.D. this pine

BRITEart

Seedling
Reaction score
I colected this pine from a chirt pit this past fall in north Alabama. Can any one tell me the species and if it is a single flush species or not? 20150604_185627.jpg 20150604_185640.jpg 20150604_185606.jpg

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The needles twist a bit. It's likely Virginia Pine.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm with Adair on this one Virginia pine. If it is indeed Virginia pine it is a two flush pine. It can be treated similar to Japanese black pine.

Be sure to protect that low shoot. That IS your future tree.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Blurry pics-but It does look like Virginia pine-looks a little weak so just fertilize and water well-nice lower trunk! Treat them Just like JBP

augustine

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Excellent find. Not much foliage. If it were mine, I wouldn't touch it for 2 or 3 years. A good trunk on a VA pine is not easy to find.

Fert, water and sun. Organic fert is good for pines.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Agree with everyone else. These can be hard to collect from what I've heard. It does have a great base so be very cautious with this one. I'd wait a minimum of 2 years before even thinking about doing anything other then careful watering and feeding.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Agree with everyone else. These can be hard to collect from what I've heard. It does have a great base so be very cautious with this one. I'd wait a minimum of 2 years before even thinking about doing anything other then careful watering and feeding.

Yes-I collected 4 true yamadori Virginia pines this year and 2 didn't make despite a getting a good root ball-they seem to not handle root shock as well as some other species.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That cool trunk is worth doing something special...

I'd consider grafting JRP on it!

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Nice trunk; rare find. Take your time, and watch the watering. Virginiana grows roots very slowly and I've lost every one I've collected by keeping them in too-large pots with too-retentive soil. They do better confined in small pots and aggregate soil. If it's stable in 2 years, you'll be able to work on it.

BRITEart

Seedling
Reaction score
Yes i agree with you guys they are very hard to collect.. I have had better luck collecting them in the fall rather than the spring.

Top Bottom