Please post some of your trees... :)

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Basically took a super contorted collected ponderosa pine and did 8 grafts of japanese black pine. Hopefully 50% will take over the next couple of years...

I have a ponderosa that I'm thinking of grafting JBP onto as well. Just out of curiosity, what kind of JBP material did you use? The ponderosa bark is dark grey, but most JBPs that I've seen have brown bark.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
"To those who are sharing like; Brian Van Fleet, garywood, jkl, buddhamonk, Beng, Vance Wood, yenling83, Dav4, Bob Shimon, smoke, tmmason10, berobinson82, zach smith, bonhe, fredtruck, dick benbow, JudyB, Redwood Ryan, johng, milehigh_7, Kevster, vdeschamps, KennedyMarx, cmeg1, rockm, catfish chapstick, gbupp, etc. (sorry if I missed your name)...Thank you"

That hurts Dario. Did you only thank people that fight with you?:p

There, I hi-lited it for you. ;)

How many members does this forum have again? :confused:

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
We need to see the trunk my friend. ;)

You & me both. Trust me there's one under there. I'm just waiting for some consistently warm nights (which won't be long now) to before I dig into several of my trees. Then I'll prune this one very hard and probably bare-root it. Then I'll look for the planting angle. Sam's Bougie threads here are inspiring.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This large pomegranate was a free dig!
"Free is mostly worth what you paid for it..." is wrong in this case! :D
It is in branch training phase now.
Bonhe

Attachments

• DSC_2819.JPG
    DSC_2819.JPG
    169.2 KB · Views: 141
  • DSC_2815.JPG
    DSC_2815.JPG
    181.9 KB · Views: 116

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
I have a ponderosa that I'm thinking of grafting JBP onto as well. Just out of curiosity, what kind of JBP material did you use? The ponderosa bark is dark grey, but most JBPs that I've seen have brown bark.

Just regular japanese black pine. It all turns black once it is old anyway

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I don't have anything very impressive, but I wanted to share something I'm working on. It's a ficus burtt-davyi that's had a couple setbacks as I've learned how to take care of it, but I think it will start to look decent once it's outside this summer instead of indoors under my shop light.

IMG_0007.jpg

It looks very feminine now, but I'm going to try to let it grow freely to fatten it up more then cut it back.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
... but I think it will start to look decent once it's outside this summer instead of indoors under my shop light.

I believe so too. My tropicals are deteriorating inside the garage...that is why I try to bring them out whenever possible. Hopefully in 2 more weeks, they will be permanently out. (wishful thinking? :rolleyes: LOL)

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I believe so too. My tropicals are deteriorating inside the garage...that is why I try to bring them out whenever possible. Hopefully in 2 more weeks, they will be permanently out. (wishful thinking? :rolleyes: LOL)

Same here. The burtt-davyi I posted is probably the only one putting on growth without getting leggy or large leafed. I have a microcarpa I'm growing out with absolutely huge leaves on it. If it doesn't drop them when I put it out in the spring it will have a lot of energy to devote to putting on size. :cool:

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Alright, I'll post a few for you, Dario. I've been "doing" bonsai for about 3 years so most of my stuff is also in the early development stages.

1. Boxwood, the first "bonsai" I acquired from a workshop...learning a lot from working with it. Photo June 2012.

2. Willow leaf ficus, trunk has a large scar (barely visible under foliage mass). Branching is awkward, a couple of straight branches off lower trunk and a bunch of smaller branches at top. Came (via ebay) with few roots so I've just been letting it grow and establish. Photo November 2012.

3. Willow leaf ficus, another one that I've been allowing to establish though this one came with a better root system. Photo November 2012.

4. Camellia...can't find a good shot from the front but this gives an idea. Tough plant to keep healthy so far, especially in this climate. I hope I can get it figured out because I really love camellias...Photo December 2012.

5. Korean Hornbeam...this one looks very similar to one that was posted recently. Nice old trunk (bark doesn't show here) but it was weak when I got it (for almost nothing). Some branches died after repotting (lowest left branch and some others on the left side of the top). Has really nice fall color. I don't really like the way the previous owner had styled the branches and am not sure what I'm going to do with it. Photo December 2012.

boxwood01_june2012.jpg willow2_nov2012_05.jpg ficus2_front1_01.jpg camellia_2012_above.jpg hornbeam1.jpg

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Alright, I'll post a few for you, Dario. ....

5. Korean Hornbeam...
...I don't really like the way the previous owner had styled the branches ...

Thanks!

Re: the hornbeam, that's the beauty of bonsai...you can always change it and make it your own. :)

Top Bottom