Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
"Hope is the last thing to die." - Walter Pall, 2007

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
BTW, in case anyone else wonders, my comment about "McPest" was not intended as a hint about his posts. I was indulging in some playing-with-words, which was and is a major part of my family's humor.

He PM'd me for clarification, since it was unclear to him. (The lack of clarity was my bad.) I think that was commendable, especially given some of the flame wars we've seen erupt from time to time. Thumbs up!

Just for clarification, I've followed Treebeard's posts over the last couple of years, and he's always been a gentleman. So, I didn't think he meant anything other than a playful jest. But, since I tend to be pretty lengthy in my responses (as I'm sure some of you might be aware), I wanted to make sure I wasn't being too much of a "pest" in cluttering up his thread with my novice thoughts when experts like Walter and Jason have been kind enough to chime in.

In any event, all is good here. I join others in wishing his Ponderosa a speedy recovery :)

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Hey TB55

Are the branches flexable? Do them flex pretty easily like a normal healthy branch or do you feel some resistance or some hardening? Try this on a green branch then one with the yellow needles..... Just curious to see how they feel.

Thanks, Jason

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
... Are the branches flexible? Do they flex pretty easily like a normal healthy branch or do you feel some resistance or some hardening? Try this on a green branch then one with the yellow needles... Jason

Good question, Jason. I tried it a short while ago. The green branches still flex normally. The ones with only dead needles are beginning to offer resistance; presumably they're drying out.

The good thing is that the green ones do look a healthy green; I'm starting to think (not just hope) this tree might survive. :):) The flip side is that it's certain to need re-styling if it does. :(

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Post-mortem

I'm afraid this tree has died.

After discussions by email and forum with Andy Smith and John Kirby, I believe I now know why. I repotted it while it was still dormant, and it wasn't able to break dormancy for over a month after repotting.

Andy told me that in his experience, trees collected while still dormant struggle a lot more, and are noticeably more likely to die on him. Trees collected after dormancy has broken usually do OK.

I had failed to see something in John Kirby's posts on BT. John repots ponderosas in March. But he overwinters them in an unheated poly house, and by March they're starting to break buds. He also lives in a climate a little warmer than mine.

Lesson learned. I won't do that with a ponderosa again. And for anyone else, it's been said that it's good to learn from our mistakes, but even better to learn from the mistakes of others!

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Treebeard,

Sorry to hear about your Ponderosa. If anything, you can take solace in the fact that you, and the rest of us participating on your thread, have learned something when it comes to these trees. So thank you for taking the time to post.

Make sure you let us know if you get a new one :D

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Sorry beard, but thanks for sharing your trials and tribulations with us, better luck the next time. I killed a RMJ last year for lack of patience.

keep it green,
Harry

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Thanks, guys. I haven't given up on ponderosas, altho it will be a while before I accumulate enough shekels to get another good one. I'll let you know when I do! :)

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
For those who think that ponderosas are not so good for bonsai see these two guys.

Secrets:
1) very well draining modern substrate
2) agressive feeding with lots of nitrogene evbery two weeks, organic at least twice a year
3) agressive watering every day
5) full sun all day
4) take away old soil from habitat
5) repot every 10 to 15 years or not at all and don't cut roots.
6) no fuss in winter, just put them on the ground and wait for spring

Attachments

• NSC_8211ofv.jpg
    NSC_8211ofv.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 39
  • NSC_8205ofv.jpg
    NSC_8205ofv.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 39

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For those who think that ponderosas are not so good for bonsai see these two guys.

Secrets:
1) very well draining modern substrate
2) agressive feeding with lots of nitrogene evbery two weeks, organic at least twice a year
3) agressive watering every day
5) full sun all day
4) take away old soil from habitat
5) repot every 10 to 15 years or not at all and don't cut roots.
6) no fuss in winter, just put them on the ground and wait for spring

Hi Walter, thanks for the tips. Really great trees by the way.

Just out of curiousity, how long do you recommend waiting after collection and repotting before styling a ponderosa? And what time of year do you find it best to styling?

This spring, I repotted a couple of Ponderosas that I believe were collected in the summer of 2008. I've followed your advice on the substrate, feeding, watering and sun, and the trees seem to be pretty strong - new needles are long, and the branches are pushing out new buds for next year already. I'm in no rush with these trees, but was wondering whether I can start the initial styling next year, or if it is better to wait another year or two.

Thanks.

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
mcpesq,

there is no ready fomula how long you can wait. The Oregon boys start styling on some of these trees a couple months after collecting and get away with it. The tree will tell you when the time has come. If it looks very healthy and grows, this can be sooner than you think . On some trees it takes ten years or longer. It sounds like you should go ahead next spring.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
mcpesq,

there is no ready fomula how long you can wait. The Oregon boys start styling on some of these trees a couple months after collecting and get away with it. The tree will tell you when the time has come. If it looks very healthy and grows, this can be sooner than you think . On some trees it takes ten years or longer. It sounds like you should go ahead next spring.

Thank you Walter.

By the way, it looks like you had a lot of fun at your Late Summer Evening program in your garden. Wish I lived closer! Thanks for posting the pictures - I'll have to check out the videos when I get home tonight.

Top Bottom