Post em' Up! Non-Coniferous Yamadori in the Americas

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I guess the closest I can come to "non coniferous yamadori" is the willow oak I got from former bnut member Jay Wilson last fall. Spent this summer learning how it responds to cut-backs. Need to do some thinning of the top and start introducing some more asymmetry into the canopy. Enjoyable tree to work with so far, spring growth flush (first photo, April 2015) is a beautiful red color.

willow_oak_01.jpg

Second photo in full leaf, early November.

fall2015_willowoak2.jpg

Reaction score
Probably nobody wants to bother, after all everyone knows only conifers matter.
Here's a something else from coniferland.
What kind of material is this?
Funny, it kinda reminds me of the Sage of the high deserts...

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
Guess these are redundant. But will repost pics anyway.
image.jpg 40yr old pieris japonica dug from a landscape. 3 yrs in training.
image.jpg image.jpg Green leaf manzanita collected last May. Adjusted well enough that I wired it late summer.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yup, they do actually grow in a similar fashion to desert sage.

A friend of mine sent me pics of some newly collected ones from Ontario last year, really large, really awesome, way more impressive than any potentilla I've seen in pics before, hopefully they get out into public view eventually.

Reactions: Vin
Reaction score
I guess the closest I can come to "non coniferous yamadori" is the willow oak I got from former bnut member Jay Wilson last fall. Spent this summer learning how it responds to cut-backs. Need to do some thinning of the top and start introducing some more asymmetry into the canopy. Enjoyable tree to work with so far, spring growth flush (first photo, April 2015) is a beautiful red color.

View attachment 89326

Second photo in full leaf, early November.

View attachment 89327
Thanks for sharing! Love the red of the first flush! Have you ever tried defoliating this? Reasoning for me asking, is that if you ever go to show it, would be awesome to show with the red. Often with some material one will go through and defoliate about a month or less before the show, to show off this feature.

Reaction score
Guess these are redundant. But will repost pics anyway.
View attachment 89328 40yr old pieris japonica dug from a landscape. 3 yrs in training.
View attachment 89329 View attachment 89330 Green leaf manzanita collected last May. Adjusted well enough that I wired it late summer.
Cool! The green leaf manzanita has leaves a lot like our buttonwoods down here. Thanks for sharing!

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
POS but a gift from an old friend.

PA110192_zpsppryhblj.jpg

PA110187_zpsajzarhtx.jpg

Dang thing looks like it is gonna make it; so I can't even take the "well you know I told you it might not make it being dug that rough and all . . . " Some sort of Ilex
and showing its butt.
Some lantana that are also a POS. However they are only to supply cuttings from. All these pics are weeks/months old.
P1010083_zpsq9jhxzdl.jpg

P1010082_zpsqskhvdrw.jpg

But all of it rescued from the power chopping gardening service or a necessary french drain installation on the other hand.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for sharing! Love the red of the first flush! Have you ever tried defoliating this? Reasoning for me asking, is that if you ever go to show it, would be awesome to show with the red. Often with some material one will go through and defoliate about a month or less before the show, to show off this feature.
Have only had it for this year, so haven't tried defoliating. I can say, though, that it was vigorous enough to require cutting back 3 times during the growing season. The new growth that resulted from each cut-back was nowhere near as red as that first spring growth. Not sure if defoliation would have a different effect. Should be interesting to see if next spring the growth is as red.

eferguson1974

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Man... no one wanting to represent where their from or the type material they have available?

This is a Wild Tamarind that I have been working for some time... This tree was collected from nature here in Florida. It is a compound leaf tree, which can be pressing sometimes! and quite hard to work with. At night their leaves close up and wilt, when day comes they pop back open and up.

I have done a substantial amount of work on this tree, and I am currently working on it's ramification, which has come really far in the past year. It is hard to get a comprehensible photo of what is going on within the tree at the moment, due to me allowing certain areas to grow to build more branching. Also, I am just letting it go till spring to get through the winter and build up new energy. So most of the negative spacing within the tree has filled in. Come spring, I will cut it back. First and second photos are from tonight. In the first you can see, where I am allowing some of the newer branching to run free to catch up to the size of the branching I currently have. Second, shows a little better the interior of the tree. Last Pic, is from this summer.

View attachment 89311

View attachment 89312

Cool trunk! The leaves are diferent than the one I have. But its going in the ground, not a pot. Maybe try moringa if you like compound leaves.

View attachment 89313

Reaction score
Cool trunk! The leaves are diferent than the one I have. But its going in the ground, not a pot. Maybe try moringa if you like compound leaves.
This is actually a Lysiloma latisiliquum a species of tree in the pea family often it is refer to or known as false tamarind or wild tamarind, but in all actuality it is not really a Tamarind.

It puts out flowers and pea pods and the leaves are similar to the moringa, but the trunks don't grow large and tubular.

Reaction score
POS but a gift from an old friend.

PA110192_zpsppryhblj.jpg

PA110187_zpsajzarhtx.jpg

Dang thing looks like it is gonna make it; so I can't even take the "well you know I told you it might not make it being dug that rough and all . . . " Some sort of Ilex
and showing its butt.
Some lantana that are also a POS. However they are only to supply cuttings from. All these pics are weeks/months old.
P1010083_zpsq9jhxzdl.jpg

P1010082_zpsqskhvdrw.jpg

But all of it rescued from the power chopping gardening service or a necessary french drain installation on the other hand.
Thanks for sharing! The Lantana are very easily rooted, and often when collected, are just cut right at the round, rather than dug.
You are however the only one I know that is propagating them! Most folks around here are usually trying to kill them, because they are just weeds.
They easily flower, and in tight, and the flowers are really pretty!

Ross

Shohin
Reaction score
Here are three pics I had of Cedar elm I collected. The two big ones should finally get some attention and move into training pots this spring. The huge monster one with no leaves is shown at the time of collection and has been roughly trimmed and has filled out since then.
Cedar elm 3.jpg Cedar elm 2.jpg Cedar elm 1.jpg

Reaction score
This tree is a Campeche Logwood that was collected from the wild by a friend of mine in Puerto Rico. The species of the tree is native to however Mexico. Again it is another compounded leaf tree, that flowers. This tree has not yet flowered, but I have had others that have. The styling of the tree is not a traditional way they grow, but did help solve what to do with a trunk that was a telephone pole a 90 percent dead trunk and only 3 branches coming off the trunk.

camp1c.jpg logwooda.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom