Pot Size

DesertPanda

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hello,

I have been working with Bonsai for some time. Like most that start the hobby/art through books and online presence, I have killed my fair share of stock in learning the nuances of agriculture as well as my local area. I live in Zone 8b (southern New Mexico) and one of the things that I have found that helps is using pots that are slightly deeper than what is normally suggested. This plays with the proportions and balance some but I am somewhat willing to sacrifice that for the sake of having a living tree at the end of the day.

Now, I know that watering regimen is vitally important and is one of the things that should never be skimped on. Over the years though, we have had some heat snaps that were unpredicted and left me with dry branches and scorched leaves. I was wondering if anyone else in that Zone (or near) as well as environment has tried this.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I haven't yet but plan on using deeper pots than what is "normally" suggested. I also add more fines on my "soil" mix to counter drying brought by heat in my area.

The ones I have in their training pots (much bigger and deeper) can last 2-3 days between watering right now. The ones in really small pots are kept under shade to last 2 days. I am sure they will dry up super fast if I put them under direct summer sun.

Another major factor to consider is the amount of foliage your plant have. Bigger total surface area (more leaves) will suck and evaporate more moisture from the pot. Needless to say...different plants transpire at different rate also.

DesertPanda

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Soil and placement

I also started to “rearrange” where my various plants were being kept, trying to balance sunlight needs with the soil drying out. I cannot say it has always been fun but it has been an interesting challenge. I have tried several different types/species of plants and have found a good mix that will survive the local area well. At this point, I am trying different “challenge” plants such as a Japanese Maple (which generally die in my area). I have had to keep it primarily in shade throughout the summer (at least after a leaf scorching early summer) and now it is doing moderately well.

I will have to try to adjust my soil content. Recently, I have been putting a bit more organic in to try and retain some moisture. I have thought about using something like vermiculite or another moisture trapper, but have been hesitant. I may get a few stock pieces from the local nursery and give it a run next year.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It has been very "challenging" for me as well since I cannot install shade cloth (due to HOA restrictions) and I have a lot of newly collected trees I needed to protect/baby for now. Next year should be a bit easier as most of them are local plants that can take the heat. The shaded area can then be relegated to the less heat tolerant species like maple and other under story plants.

For soil, I mostly use Turface and chopped pine bark now (mixed 50/50). I do not sift them and looks like the plants are loving it so far. Like you, I am still learning.

Good luck with your experiment!

robh72

Seedling
Reaction score
Nice to see some info on pot size and soil from someone in my area. Im also near Austin and was worried about the heat. I just got into bonsai in late august.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I also started to “rearrange” where my various plants were being kept, trying to balance sunlight needs with the soil drying out. I cannot say it has always been fun but it has been an interesting challenge. I have tried several different types/species of plants and have found a good mix that will survive the local area well. At this point, I am trying different “challenge” plants such as a Japanese Maple (which generally die in my area). I have had to keep it primarily in shade throughout the summer (at least after a leaf scorching early summer) and now it is doing moderately well.

I will have to try to adjust my soil content. Recently, I have been putting a bit more organic in to try and retain some moisture. I have thought about using something like vermiculite or another moisture trapper, but have been hesitant. I may get a few stock pieces from the local nursery and give it a run next year.
Notice that the nursery's keep those Japanese maples under shade cloth all the time. That is if the stock looks good.

Top Bottom