Pottery making advice please

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Looks like your angles moved just a touch... This is normal.. and can be anticipated for.

What does your "ramp" look like for the first 3 hours?

JeffS73

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks, yeah, details count!! I've learnt a lot about how much there is to learn to make a great pot. Pleased with the start though.

I read that burnish burns off well before cone 6, but I'm glad I gave it a go:
20220208_123529.jpg

20220208_121636.jpg

20220208_120119.jpg

JeffS73

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yeah, struggled to keep everything square and true!

Ramp was slow, it was 175C per hour to 1100C, the 65C per hour to 1200C with a 15min hold, then free fall.

Cones 5,6,7:
1st Cone 6 top shelf.jpg

JeffS73

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think the photos are a bit off, I've taken them close up on my phone, theyre not thay skewed! Both pots stand flat. The rims curled a bit, and the transitions between the sidewall and rims are a bit rough.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I think the photos are a bit off, I've taken them close up on my phone, theyre not thay skewed! Both pots stand flat. The rims curled a bit, and the transitions between the sidewall and rims are a bit rough.
Oh yeah.. they'll sit true! Even if you melt them into a puddle... it'll still be flat.. where it's touching. I was just noticing that the walls seemed to bow (This just happens.. frequently) in between the bisque and full-fire pictures.

My best, personal way of combatting this.. is being aware of gravity and forces, internal and external, during the drying process.. that and making sure my first 3 hours are within 900-1100F but it seems like you are firing slow.

That's close to 350F an hour So by Three hours you SHOULD still be within quartz inversion temps.

🤓

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I really like your moulding-looking foot detail.. and believe you should flex those muscles and see if you can use it other places throughout your pieces.

I'm excited to see what you do NEXT!

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hmm, some sort of mind-reader you are?

Drying now:
View attachment 419576View attachment 419577

I like the sprig moulding!
Oh man! That's exciting! I like the direction a LOT!

Pretty soon, your curvature-finishing skills are gonna 'hop up' to fill that method-space..You're gonna make those little moulding SHINE! Make em.. SHINE!!!! 😂😂😂

I have a feeling that your designs, soon, will be exactly as you want them to be. Please update this one after you finish your dry work!

Top Bottom