pre bonsai Mark

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
He still won't reply to me, may send another message
dave, nybonsai17, ETC. who also wait
I am just starting a very limited nursery and I am busier than the proverbial "one armed paper hanger"
The thing people don't seem to realize is that:
1) take, prep, and stick the cutting. Place it in the correct spot under the mist system
2) wait for them to root BUT keep them treated with fungicide/insecticide, fertilizer [once they begin rooting]
3) prick the cuttings out and pot them up--this includes mixing your soil, unpacking pots, prepping labels, etc.
4) water, watch, pH test, fertilize, prune, spray, REPEAT, REPEAT, REPEAT, and wait for nature to work.
5) sell it if you are growing short season plants but if not?
Then that is just year one. you still have to carry them over the winter, groom, spray and fertilize to have
them ready for market the following year. And the longer "development time" you have to put into a plant
seems to be directly proportional to the amount of work/treatment it needs. Longer it takes to grow out the
bigger pain the arse it usually ends up being.
These steps are just for 'nursery' stock. Throw into the mix that you are faced with literally hundreds of some
species and dozens of others and ALL of them need your attention NOW! Mix in that, for bonsai sake, they all
need attention to their roots as well.
Expect to hear from the man sometime around the second week of June at the earliest. These are the times
that make or break a nurseryman. Be patient. If you grow anything imagine it multiplied a thousand times
over before you feel slighted.

Last edited:

whfarro

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I know he was working on 5000 JBP "Mikawa" seedlings last week and had about the same number of Japanese Red Pines lined up after that. Add to that all of his maples, hinoki, and field grown taxus and you can see where his time goes. He takes a lot of care with the roots on all of his stock. These are more than nursery stock. Be patient, keep trying.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1432002359828.jpg
    FB_IMG_1432002359828.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 47

bonsaiBlake

Chumono
Reaction score
Bering sea, AK Orginally from Vancover, wa
dave, nybonsai17, ETC. who also wait
I am just starting a very limited nursery and I am busier than the proverbial "one armed paper hanger"
The thing people don't seem to realize is that:
1) take, prep, and stick the cutting. Place it in the correct spot under the mist system
2) wait for them to root BUT keep them treated with fungicide/insecticide, fertilizer [once they begin rooting]
3) prick the cuttings out and pot them up--this includes mixing your soil, unpacking pots, prepping labels, etc.
4) water, watch, pH test, fertilize, prune, spray, REPEAT, REPEAT, REPEAT, and wait for nature to work.
5) sell it if you are growing short season plants but if not?
Then that is just year one. you still have to carry them over the winter, groom, spray and fertilize to have
them ready for market the following year. And the longer "development time" you have to put into a plant
seems to be directly proportional to the amount of work/treatment it needs. Longer it takes to grow out the
bigger pain the arse it usually ends up being.
These steps are just for 'nursery' stock. Throw into the mix that you are faced with literally hundreds of some
species and dozens of others and ALL of them need your attention NOW! Mix in that, for bonsai sake, they all
need attention to their roots as well.
Expect to hear from the man sometime around the second week of June at the earliest. These are the times
that make or break a nurseryman. Be patient. If you grow anything imagine it multiplied a thousand times
over before you feel slighted.

AHAHAHAHHAAAAA Im sooooo showing this to my boss. you guys have no idea how true this is. . . Seriously though quality plants take quality care and that means little time for anything else. Plants don't wait to grow, they don't take "days off"

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
AHAHAHAHHAAAAA Im sooooo showing this to my boss. you guys have no idea how true this is. . . Seriously though quality plants take quality care and that means little time for anything else. Plants don't wait to grow, they don't take "days off"

"days off"?
I can't recall the last time I had time to scratch my
own rear without having to make an appointment.
Closer to having a horde of ten thousand crying babies
that want to be watered, feed, watered, fungisided, watered,
sprayed, watered, pruned, watered, pinched, watered, ad naseum.
Would I have it any other way? No. It is reassuring to be
surrounded by so much life all the time.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm a NY'er so I'm naturally impatient and expect everything to move quickly.

But i understand what Mark does and appreciate it, especially that he is rare here in the northeast. I can be patient for what he offers, but I no longer have to as he got back to me last night! Boom order placed.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
He is reachable...I've messaged him twice in the last few days and his response has been prompt both times. He might be busy, but he wants your money. Honestly, it doesn't make sense to me why he hasn't gotten back to you.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a

But i understand what Mark does and appreciate it, especially that he is rare here in the northeast. I can be patient for what he offers, but I no longer have to as he got back to me last night! Boom order placed.
Good for you. Since you have his attention now, figure out a way to visit his nursery...you know, to save on shipping costs;).

whfarro

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A

What cha get?

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I just wanted to say he did contact me a few days ago and has been very responsive ever since.

I'm stuck between a kiyohime yatsuba or a kashima for the same price, which one would you recommend? The kiyohime is a bit smaller I think however I don't know the trunk size on either. Sort of leaning towards the kashima.

The prices do seem fair to me for sure judging from the amount of effort and consideration he puts into the roots.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Well you see, I get called mental by my relatives for wanting to spend the $200 asking price for what looks like a stick in a pot, so I am pushing it buying one....

If only it was that easy

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Ha Dave.

They just don't understand that you're paying for time, work, and resources.

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
How can I find him on facebook? I follow Bonsai Classified but I have no idea who everyone is (their real names).

Top Bottom