Predatory mite vs spider mite

SantaFeBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
Has anyone tried predatory mites Neiseiulus Californicus for spider mite infestation? I've used this company this before, (Rincon Vitova) buying lace wing larve to battle aphids this past spring. Within a week no more aphids. Do you know how enjoyable it is to watch a lace wing larve pick up a aphid with his giant claws and just starting sucking the life out of it? Indescribable!

Now it's spider mites on my junipers, very few at this point but I inspect daily. I'll combat with my own army of predatory mites. Eat 'em up, boys!

IMG_0864.JPG

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I just stumbled across a few websites that sell predatory insects for gardening a few weeks ago. Really cool idea that I will try. I swore I'd never use chemicals in my yard, that ended this year with a slew of mites and borers.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I've ordered several different species from Buglogical, but never really had super great success.

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Rincon Vitova
I also get my lacewing here and I love seeing the adults out at dusk and finding eggs on my plants. In fact, I just found some eggs on a red pine this morning!

Brent Walston has an article and supports using predatory mites. Says it took him 2 years to balance the relationship but after hadn't sprayed for 5 years!

https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/mites.htm

I think in an urban yard setting getting that balance might be tough. Once the food is gone the predators die, but new spider mites can be transported back anytime. It looks like your's can also survive on pollen, so having surrounding companion plants may be key.

Keep us updated!

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I would be willing to try that but for some reason, I just feel better knowing that I have sprayed/dunked/etc. I would think, I wonder how many survived...did they migrate somewhere else? Did they get eaten by something? I KNOW when I use chemicals. But regardless, I am all about not using anything harsh unless I had to. I think this would be something I would like to try with a minor infestation. Thank goodness I haven't had anything too bad (aside from the borers in my big BC). Thanks for the info!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
finding eggs on my plants.

20170801_104910.jpg

This frigging ? Bush in the yard still hosts most of my aphids. So I got mad eggs, I don't think I have a plant without them!

Oh this bush....20170802_123819.jpg

20170802_123852.jpg

20170802_123839.jpg

Trying to airlayer it. X3!

Phscyed!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Saw one of them for the first time a couple days ago!

I see the ladybug larvae all the time but never the lace wing.
Hell...I never see the lace wing either!

Sorce

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Just s pondering...are red spider mites...the same that bother critters in the wild? When we rescued the baby groundhog...it had spider mites. Hm-mm

Aphids...triple action got rid of a severe case I had in my pergola vine. Which I let go untreated until the baby birds had flown away...two nests to grow up...those aphids were horrid!!! Had a bad case on my J.Quince early spring as well. Triple action worked amazingly...

SantaFeBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
Once the lace wing larve were released aphids disappeared in a matter of 48hrs. I haven't seen them since May.

We have a nectar garden, keeps lace wings life cycle complete right here, no need for traveling. Same thing will happen with these predatory mites, hopefully.

My Dad always said "you can't serve two masters". I can see a future without my nectar garden. Hopefully we can balance this thing out.

Top Bottom