Preparing a Bare Root tree for shipping?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I would suggest at this point that you work on getting these beauties back to health then post them for sale. You don't want to get a reputation for selling trees that don't survive. Be patient grass hopper.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I interpret it to mean that I should drive an hour north and ship from Oklahoma if I ever want to sell to California again.

This is what you are responding to guys, look at the first post - I sent it to cal against everyones advice.

Guess Ward didn't give it to the beaver hard enough last night eh June. Wally!

Maybe it's really Eddie Hasckel.

Ross

Shohin
Reaction score
This is what you are responding to guys, look at the first post - I sent it to cal against everyones advice.

Guess Ward didn't give it to the beaver hard enough last night eh June. Wally!

Maybe it's really Eddie Hasckel.

Whoa, back up Bill. The advice I ignored had nothing to do with shipping to California and everything to do with dormancy. I still think there is an inherent ambiguity in the CDFA regulations for shipping plants from Texas, but I would not do it again knowing what I know now. I do think it's silly that it might be illegal for me to ship trees from Texas, but legal to ship them from Durant, Oklahoma, which is less than 45 minutes from where I dig. Also, I have listened to and thanked everyone who has given advice on this thread so far, and that's why I say I wouldn't ship to California right now for legal and ecological reasons. You must have also missed the part about how I wouldn't even consider shipping anything for a couple years at least, so I'm just kinda thinking for the future, looking for advice that one would expect to find on a forum like this. If you want to call the bonsai police on me for the tree I sold this fall, then go ahead, but I'm not sure what they'd charge me with considering the tree was likely dead before it even got to California.

Here are a couple crummy pics of two more I dug yesterday.

Attachments

• Cedar elm 1.jpg
    Cedar elm 1.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 27
  • Cedar elm 2.jpg
    Cedar elm 2.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 26

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Just keep plugging along enjoying what you are doing and be confident in the immortal words of Karl Marx: No good deed goes unpunished. The only useful thing that dude every had to contribute to society. I've been suggesting for years that government will eventually intrude into the bonsai community, and when you do the kind of things you are planning you find that truth to be more self evident than others who are not engaged in the sales state to state.

Ross

Shohin
Reaction score
Sorry Bill

Hey sorry Bill, I overreacted a bit in my last post. I know your intentions are good. Losing that tree is still a sore subject for me and went bad in a number of ways. It was painful for me and the buyer to see the tree end that way, on my end because I watered, re-potted and clipped it for years, and for the buyer because he had to open up the box and see it in that state. Also, he tried in vain to revive the tree, and we had a little back and forth during that period where I kept hoping it would pull through. I'm trying not to make those same mistakes again, and I'm glad you guys came through with sound advice on possible legal hurdles I need to consider, and I definitely will when I have to cross that bridge again.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Thats Cool

just seemed by words to ignor advice, and do what you felt, due to some grey areas, which the gubment folks will assure you isn't grey. My ire if you call it that was due to too many in the past putting ourhobby at risk in a manner.

Vance are you trying to say quarantine to Cal is intrusion?? Seems to me they have good reason.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
just seemed by words to ignor advice, and do what you felt, due to some grey areas, which the gubment folks will assure you isn't grey. My ire if you call it that was due to too many in the past putting ourhobby at risk in a manner.

Vance are you trying to say quarantine to Cal is intrusion?? Seems to me they have good reason.

Nope, just stating a fact. Sometimes we have to turn things over to government, cautiously, because we as individuals don't have the resources to do otherwise. Where I have a problem is when we allow these entities to control us. Gerorge Washington said: Government is like fire, it makes for a great servant but a lousy task master when we lose control of it.

Top Bottom