circledisk

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Hey everyone, this is my first post here so please forgive me if it's in the wrong forum. I thought of putting it in the Collecting one, but wasn't sure. I am preparing a rather large Acer Campestre yamadori for spring collection. I have collected a few trees in the past but don't have anything of this size. I found the tree growing in a bamboo thicket this summer and was staring at it for months before I decided to do anything.

Before cutting, the tree was about 15+ ft tall with a 14 or 15 trunks and a strong, upward growing habit. I believe the tree is well over 20 years old, and was forced to grow additional trunks with low outward branches to compensate for the lack of sun it was getting at the top, surrounded by bamboo and a few thick and tall winged elms.

After cutting it back severely and cutting the trunks down to a good height above a node, I sealed the cuts and will leave it be. I'm still unsure which trunk will be the "main" one in the composition so I left the two thickest ones at about the same height, and I'll make those styling decisions once the tree is vigorous and established in a container. One of the trunks already has some collar development above a node!

Either way, I just moved to North Carolina from Massachusetts and I'm still unfamiliar with the winters here. Now my questions begin:

1. Has anyone had success with root layering a tree by digging a trench, filling it with compost and growing media, and letting small roots ramify in the autum/spring in the ground before collecting, around the nebari? My inclination is that with campestre's compressed and outward growing root system, this would help a lot.

2. Could I collect the tree now, stick it in a large wooden box with a heat pad below the root mass, and let it overwinter that way in a "pre-bonsai" soil?

3. Or, should I wait until spring to collect and leave it be in the ground without touching the roots at all until then?

I've had success transplanting and collecting in the fall and spring with a number of different species native to Massachusetts, but this would be the first campestre I've worked with. Any input is appreciated. I've included pictures below.

Attachments

• IMG_2883.JPG
    IMG_2883.JPG
    479 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_2884.JPG
    IMG_2884.JPG
    398.3 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_2885.JPG
    IMG_2885.JPG
    171.2 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_2888.JPG
    IMG_2888.JPG
    367.4 KB · Views: 122

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You sure this is acer campestre? That's European native and not very common in the U.S. even as a landscape tree.

Also, chopping is typically done in spring. I'd seal those cuts to prevent die back over the winter.

Would not dig the tree now unless you have a frost-free area to store it over the winter. Typically when I dig a deciduous tree, I chop and dig it up and bareroot it all a the same time--in the springtime (in early March in my area)

circledisk

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I am 95% sure its acer campestre, they are common in the US now as a result of roadside planting and wide use in landscaping. They are even listed on multiple states registries of "native" trees. Also the leaf structure I observed in summer and autumn closely resembles campestre!

Don't worry, all cuts have been generously sealed. You might be able to see a layer of grey on them if you zoom in. I've done this before in autumn with great success on a number of trees before. I'm more looking for advice given I just moved from zone 6 to zone 8, and since I've never moved a multi-trunk tree. I have concerns about the spread of the root system and would rather not bareroot it, motivating the question about in ground root pruning a 4-5 months before moving the tree. It's pretty darn warm here, and historical weather only puts it below freezing for a few weeks in January. If I dig it up, I would have a frost free place to store it.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Where about are you in North Carolina? There’s quite a few here from NC including myself. I’m in Charlotte.

circledisk

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I'm in the Chapel Hill area. I was just at the show in Kannapolis but came on Sunday when it was less busy. Great trees!

circledisk

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Collected and potted! Will keep outside on a warmer until it stops dipping to freezing.

Attachments

• IMG_4474.jpg
    IMG_4474.jpg
    484 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_4479.jpg
    IMG_4479.jpg
    474.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_4482.jpg
    IMG_4482.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 59

circledisk

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
That's why I was so excited about it! Now I just have to let it grow and figure out the proportions. I left a few trunks behind that I might get later for individual trees.

Top Bottom