Problems with a branch. Juniperus Virginiana (Eastern Red Cedar)

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
If I had an Eastern red Cedar with a good trunk, I wouldn’t hesitate to work with it… But I would absolutely graft better foliage on it as I hate ratty looking foliage And I hate ratty looking foliage with great big orange globs of cedar apple rust even more.

Reactions: Vin

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
...and yet, they do exist. Not my tree or photo but this one is at the North Carolina National Arboretum:

View attachment 388683

I have one I've been working on for ten years. Soon, it will be for sale and probably bring a pittance because of what it is.
“No stop 🛑 ✋” “ERC doesn’t work as a bonsai okay!!??, stop it’s supposed to have negative characteristics”

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wow I completely missed this entire thread until some one dredged it out of the gutter...lol

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
This Artao guy...on the count of three, let's everybody put this guy on ignore!

Excuse...I didn't realize this was a 100 year old post

Last edited:

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
...and yet, they do exist. Not my tree or photo but this one is at the North Carolina National Arboretum:

View attachment 388683

I have one I've been working on for ten years. Soon, it will be for sale and probably bring a pittance because of what it is.
So, show us this critter, ten years in the making...

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If I had an Eastern red Cedar with a good trunk, I wouldn’t hesitate to work with it… But I would absolutely graft better foliage on it as I hate ratty looking foliage And I hate ratty looking foliage with great big orange globs of cedar apple rust even more.
I've thought about grafting but I kind of like the sparse ratty foliage though I wish it was a bit tighter.

augustine

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
R2,

just show us how it progresses. Maybe you know more than the collective 1000 +years of experience of members of Bonsainut. Money talks…

Silentrunning

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have a couple of old bonsai book from the 1970s when bonsai was in its infancy in the U.S. Both books have examples of ERC bonsai. It would seem at one point they didn’t have the negative reputation they have today.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have a couple of old bonsai book from the 1970s when bonsai was in its infancy in the U.S. Both books have examples of ERC bonsai. It would seem at one point they didn’t have the negative reputation they have today.
The proof is always in the pudding. There are pictures, and there are pictures that show enough detail to draw conclusions. ERC are not regarded poorly for nothing, they are very uncooperative and we all try to work with them anyway. Any that do make it to some semblance of show-worthiness are admired a little extra because of that. Want some extra respect? You know what to do.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
The only grower that I know of who has worked with one successfully is Vance Hanna, he used one collected from the fields of Iowa. It seems that there are regional differences in the species and the god ones seem to come from Iowa. It's a lot loke the Shimpaku Juniper and the Sargents Juniper. The Sargents Juniper makes terribel bonsai and the Simpakus make excelet bonsai even though they are the same species.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Duhh. Totally forgot I had an example of ERC I worked on. It was originally designed with Taiga Urushibata. January I brushed the wood,peeled away some flaky bark and did some trimming. In March it was potted in a bonsai container. It’s doing well this summer , foliage pad is condensing ,I’ll have to snag a pic when I’m at the studio later this week.

Attachments

• 5C660A09-2307-48DD-8A10-F71E2F2E1CDF.jpeg
    5C660A09-2307-48DD-8A10-F71E2F2E1CDF.jpeg
    181.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 39EBD60D-9CEB-4D12-9027-C6BD199A8DAA.jpeg
    39EBD60D-9CEB-4D12-9027-C6BD199A8DAA.jpeg
    291 KB · Views: 36

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
HAhahahahahaha. I have those books too. Have had them since the 1980's...Sorry, but yeah, the negative reputation wasn't in them because it was BEING EARNED at the time. Those growers DISCOVERED ERC aren't worth the trouble for the most part. If they were, wouldn't there be a lot of older examples of ERC bonsai, besides the middling handful of examples that crop up in posts on ERC? There were also alot of Sheep Laurel and other species named as "good material" in some of those books. They're not used much either.

In contrast, species such as sugarberry, cedar elm, hornbeam that also crop up in early books are pretty common now as bonsai material. Don't have to look very far to find SPECTACULAR specimens of all of those...there's a reason for that...they work. Collectable ERC is a bitch to find and a chore to work on, with usually less than stellar results...

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Duhh. Totally forgot I had an example of ERC I worked on. It was originally designed with Taiga Urushibata. January I brushed the wood,peeled away some flaky bark and did some trimming. In March it was potted in a bonsai container. It’s doing well this summer , foliage pad is condensing ,I’ll have to snag a pic when I’m at the studio later this week.
Is there something wrong with my monitor? That tree looks a little bit off-color. That is, unless it's been dead a long time.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Is there something wrong with my monitor? That tree looks a little bit off-color. That is, unless it's been dead a long time.
Why would I be working on a dead tree dude.The foliage was in winter color , it changes to green during growing season. You do know juniper foliage color changes during dormancy right?

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Why would I be working on a dead tree dude.The foliage was in winter color , it changes to green during growing season. You do know juniper foliage color changes during dormancy right?
Mine go towards purple/blue in winter. I had some dead ones go to straw brown!

Top Bottom