Progression of One of My Bald Cypress

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I really love the elegant taper of this tree. It is perfect IMO.

Going well.

I don't know if the root pic didn't load for me in 2014 or what.........but those roots would scare the hell out of my wife!

Love it!

Sorce

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Cypress1.jpg Cypress2.jpg Cypress3.jpg UPDATE:

Took these last night, I liked how the sun was shining through the leaves. The leaves are a little ratty since it is getting close to fall and this summer was very brutal. I plan to make some branch selections next spring and put it in a smaller pot, if I can find the right one.

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
View attachment 81019 View attachment 81020 View attachment 81021 UPDATE:

Took these last night, I liked how the sun was shining through the leaves. The leaves are a little ratty since it is getting close to fall and this summer was very brutal. I plan to make some branch selections next spring and put it in a smaller pot, if I can find the right one.
Looking good!
PM HOMETEAMROCKER
he makes awesome pots!

Ceijay

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I have a question, when a cypress is made into a bonsai tree will it still make knees like mature tree in nature? Or is this a feature of a specific cypress species?

Lovely tree btw :)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If I were ever, say.....stranded on an island,
That would be the only beer I'd need!

The Tree is still wonderful!
Smaller pot already?

Sorce

Reactions: Vin

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have a question, when a cypress is made into a bonsai tree will it still make knees like mature tree in nature? Or is this a feature of a specific cypress species?

Lovely tree btw :)
They generally get "knees" when grown in super wet conditions, so I'm sure there is a way to possibly get them as a bonsai

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They generally get "knees" when grown in super wet conditions, so I'm sure there is a way to possibly get them as a bonsai
This is what I've always heard and have noticed, I believe if you grows Cypress in a pot with no drain holes it will get knees. I am going to try this in spring.

Txhorticulture

Chumono
Reaction score
I don't think they will get pneumataphores (knees) in a pot, especially a bonsai pot, and there would be no way to keep them in scale to tree.

This is a big bonsai tree and I've never seen knees on an in situ tree that small.

The whole knees thing is a mystery. The purpose if any they serve isn't clear. I've seen trees in swamps with them and without them. I've seen landscape trees with and without them.

I think some Taxodium populations are more likely than others to get them. Mexican form seems incapable. riparian trees never have them at least not that I've seen.

Anyway mullet that is an awesome tree. It is very natural looking.

Last edited:

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Knees arise from anoxia, so keeping them periodically immersed is part of the equation. One also needs a part of a root close to the surface and possibly atop the water - this is where the knee grows. My observations are that the roots will naturally buckle in a pot. I'd think immersion of the pot once this has happened could, over time, produce knees.

Ceijay

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Those are all great answers thanks. I too have seen them with and without knees in both wet and dry conditions but I would think that wet conditions would still give the most hope for results. A quick google search did reveal at least three ( small btw ) bonsai that had knees, however it's entirely possible that they were collected that way.

Anyway, I think if you could actually reproduce that in a bonsai you would be pretty awesome. I image it would be pretty visually striking too considering how unique they are to both bonsai and the tree species itself.

Txhorticulture

Chumono
Reaction score
, so keeping them periodically immersed is part of the equation. One also needs a part of a root close to the surface and possibly atop the water - this is where the knee grows.

Ill remain skeptical . Ive seen people try before keepimg nursery cans submerged in water . I'll believe they can grow knees in pots when I see it. Some grow knees in people's yards here, not just in poorly drained spots either. Others dont... but they grow on large roots, the kind way to big for bonsai pots.

I also remember reading an abstract of the study (didn't read the whole thing) that tried to determine if knees played a role in providing oxygen. They removed knees from trees someone measured the amount of oxygen it metabolized and saw no effect.

So if low oxygen does cause the condition , the knees don't do anything about it.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'll believe they can grow knees in pots when I see it. Some grow knees in people's yards here, not just in poorly drained spots either
So, how big would a pot have to be, if it is a pot size (or root length) thing?
Alternatively, if one dislikes knees, what is the limit on root length to prevent them? One could install a barrier to constrain the roots and prevent knees, just like we do to keep bamboo from eating Cincinnati.

BTW, rice (though it is a grass) does something similar. Roots become anoxic underwater and new roots emerge just above the water level.

I think a heavy mucky soil would help with forming knees and that a loose, well draining, bonsai medium is exactly what one does not want to use if they want to make knees on their bald cypress.

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Ill remain skeptical . Ive seen people try before keepimg nursery cans submerged in water . I'll believe they can grow knees in pots when I see it. Some grow knees in people's yards here, not just in poorly drained spots either. Others dont... but they grow on large roots, the kind way to big for bonsai pots.

I also remember reading an abstract of the study (didn't read the whole thing) that tried to determine if knees played a role in providing oxygen. They removed knees from trees someone measured the amount of oxygen it metabolized and saw no effect.

So if low oxygen does cause the condition , the knees don't do anything about it.

Be skeptical all you want...you are posting on the thread of a fellow who I believe both he and his Dad(Dad for sure) have successfully developed knees in containers. I am sure there are photos here already...probably in a couple threads.

I think its possible but it takes time and the right conditions...in addition to what Oso said, I suspect being root bound in a container may also help directly or indirectly in the development of knees.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wouldn't it be cool if knees were formed as some sort of a "ground" break, something to make them less inviting to lightning?

Sorce

Txhorticulture

Chumono
Reaction score
Be skeptical all you want...you are posting on the thread of a fellow who I believe both he and his Dad(Dad for sure) have successfully developed knees in containers.

Ill do a search.

Txhorticulture

Chumono
Reaction score
Well I did find one "showing her knees" thread. I agree with what what mullet said in the thread , it's a genetic trait some show more than others. Like corky branches and bark on certain elms.

Also that's a large container in that thread. It's a cement tub or some thing similar.

And scale would be weird in a bonsai pot.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
If I were ever, say.....stranded on an island,
That would be the only beer I'd need!

The Tree is still wonderful!
Smaller pot already?

Sorce

It a very tasty beer, if you like ginger, it is brewed with it and it has an snappy taste.

It is still in the same pot it has always been in, I hope to find the right one and repot it in the spring, if not I will put it back in the same one.

John

Top Bottom