PROS AND CONS OF WHEN TO WIRE

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I live in a zone 5-6 with wonderful mountains very close. I collect 4 species of pines, Western larch, a few Western juniper yamadori where I live. My survival rate is 85-90% and do better collecting in the fall.

I struggle with some really basic (to most of you) things in this business, such as when to wire these conifers. Could I have some input from you folks on when is the best time to wire these trees and why. It's easy for me to bring a tree inside and wire this time of year, but if damaging to the tree and the growth cycle, I will not do it. I get different opinions from listening and reading. Help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
You can wire conifers, and certainly pines any time of year... but... depending on climate, the best time is probably early fall once the heat of summer has passed. The worst time is either mid to late summer if it's extremely hot or dead winter if you can't provide adequate protection from deep cold. I wouldn't hesitate to wire now if I needed to, but you can easily damage ripened buds if they're beginning to extend.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I like to wire in the late summer/early fall when there is still at least 4-6 weeks before first frost. I don’t like to wire too close to winter otherwise the tree needs to be protected.

I also like to wire in the early spring, just before the buds start to swell - to avoid knocking off delicate buds.

I don’t like to wire when growth is extending, dead of winter, or peak heat of summer. Although I do some wiring on various trees pretty much throughout the summer here.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
One might wait until later to do any biggish bends on those Junipers.

Cheers

DSD sends

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Assuming the trees are well established wiring can be done most times of year. There's a risk that bark will separate from the wood if bending when growth is active in spring and early summer so bent branches occasionally die after bending during active growth.

My concern is mention of collected trees and little knowledge even of basic wiring. Trees take many months to re-establish after collection. Sometimes they look good and even grow new shoots during spring after collecting but may then die due to no new roots. I don't count any collected tree as successful until after mid summer following transplant. Even longer for older trees collected from the wild.
Definitely no wiring and bending during the recovery phase after collection. Minimum of 6 moths but usually 12 months is recommended. Longer if recovery is slow.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Assuming the trees are well established wiring can be done most times of year. There's a risk that bark will separate from the wood if bending when growth is active in spring and early summer so bent branches occasionally die after bending during active growth.

My concern is mention of collected trees and little knowledge even of basic wiring. Trees take many months to re-establish after collection. Sometimes they look good and even grow new shoots during spring after collecting but may then die due to no new roots. I don't count any collected tree as successful until after mid summer following transplant. Even longer for older trees collected from the wild.
Definitely no wiring and bending during the recovery phase after collection. Minimum of 6 moths but usually 12 months is recommended. Longer if recovery is slow.
I wait almost 2 years after collection to wire

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have had branches on pines and juniper die when wired during spring when growth is active and water flow is high in the branches.

The bark slipped as shibui stated and killed the branches.

I prefer fall and winter to wire

Top Bottom