Prunus Mume Sources?

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
I found a source for several varieties of prunus mume and was very excited until I asked if they were grafts... they are.

Does anyone know of a good source? I don't want anything near finished I don't even mind young ones.

Thanks

chansen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I got one from Chris at Telperion Farms this past summer. I know he has a few in development, and there was at least one other large tree in the field when I was there.

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
George Muranaka field grows Ume. http://www.muranakabonsai.com/ give him a call or check out his ebay items. I think Brent is the only one who sells not grafted besides George. However I don't think Grafts are bad, just air layer above or take cuttings. You'll get better roots that way anyways, keep spreading the roots out and working on them each time you repot.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
For the past 25 years I've been offering deciduous seedlings by mail order ONLY to the United States. Many clubs purchase them for workshops or future projects.

This year among all the different varieties of plants, I'm offering rooted CUTTINGS of three different Japanese Flowering Apricot, Prunus mume. The cultivars are 'Bonita', Hokkai Bungo' and 'Omoi No Mama'.

My website has not been updated yet, but will be in the next few days. However, if you send me a private message at the e-mail address below I'll be happy to send you a catalog.

Bill

WNV@internationalbonsai.com

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
For the past 25 years I've been offering deciduous seedlings by mail order ONLY to the United States. Many clubs purchase them for workshops or future projects.

This year among all the different varieties of plants, I'm offering rooted CUTTINGS of three different Japanese Flowering Apricot, Prunus mume. The cultivars are 'Bonita', Hokkai Bungo' and 'Omoi No Mama'.

My website has not been updated yet, but will be in the next few days. However, if you send me a private message at the e-mail address below I'll be happy to send you a catalog.

Bill

Thanks Bill!

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
George Muranaka field grows Ume. http://www.muranakabonsai.com/ give him a call or check out his ebay items. I think Brent is the only one who sells not grafted besides George. However I don't think Grafts are bad, just air layer above or take cuttings. You'll get better roots that way anyways, keep spreading the roots out and working on them each time you repot.

Thanks! George is another person that I have read nothing but good about!

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score

Bill

Bill,

Are you able to ship to California? Being cuttings, will these also produce flowers now?

Thanks,
jeff

capnk

Mame
Reaction score
We doB have ume developing in the field. Not grafted. We plan to lift some this spring and see how they look. Bases currently are 3-4 inches in diameter. I think we currently have some nice material for shohin or medium sized trees. We will continue to grow them on to large stumps.

Sapling
Reaction score
We doB have ume developing in the field. Not grafted. We plan to lift some this spring and see how they look. Bases currently are 3-4 inches in diameter. I think we currently have some nice material for shohin or medium sized trees. We will continue to grow them on to large stumps.

I am very interested in seeing what you have. I'm looking for suitable pre-bonsai material to create a shohin to chuhin sized final tree. How can I see what material you have?

capnk

Mame
Reaction score
Please send me an email at tfarms@wvi.com. It's much easier to send pictures via regular email.
Thanks,
Chris

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Chris,
Gary's been teasing us with photos of all that's going on at Telperion...can't wait to see some stock loaded up on the website!! (hint, hint:D)
BVF

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
My seedlings from Bill should be in this week and I have been speaking to Chris about his. Thanks everyone for the help on this!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
The Prunus mume I offer are bare root, unbranched, well rooted CUTTINGS, not seedlings. Plants with unknown characteristics come from seed. If you want exact copies of a special plant (cultivar) it must be a clone and propagated vegetatively by cutting, graft, layer or tissue culture. I do not offer Prunus mume seedlings, which commonly have white flowers when older.

Weather permitting, I'm planning to begin shipping on Monday, January 17th.

Bill

PS: Some of the Ume cuttings have large flower buds already!

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
I take that back, my cuttings from Bill should be here in a couple of weeks ;). Which is just fine because I need to get some more soil fixins. Thanks Bill! :D

Top Bottom