Pugo Mine

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
. Nothing would make me more happy

My kids may have to get in touch with your grandkids but hay!

Do any of those guys take interest?

Sorce

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have eleven grandkids and four great-grandkids and none of them care about bonsai. My son was interested for a while but more about making pots. He made quite a few which I still have a few as well as several I made myself. My son will be fourty next year.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
riding the rails
Model railroading

20151025_171824.jpg
Here's my lil 2x4ft N scale railroad. And my 2 older boys with some young feller I don't recognize!

Just a double track oval with 2 single crossovers and 2 small sidings. Like a depot juniper, this is practice for the basement monster!

This was the first time I did water, and the homemade 1/4 copper tube bridge is strong enough to lift the whole thing by!

I got dudes fishing, with hair for line, bears, a skate park.
I'll try to dig up some digis and put em on the photos thread!

Sorce

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Sorry Sorce that I missed this thread. Somehow it got past me. Give me a couple of days to go through you ample album of the victim and I'll offer up what I think. Did you look at the videos around the nursery crawl series?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I like the tree. I like mugos. Dunno why people frown on them as good material.
Because most people cannot see beyond the clutter of so many branches so close together. If you have approached bonsai by the books you do not find trees like this in the books. You find single trunk or multiple trunks but usually not more than three. You find in the books, more or less, sanity in the distribution of branches as opposed to the hodge podge the Mugo will give you. In nature, where they are not sheared by the nursery trade, you might find trees like you find in the books but that is not probable in the nursery trade. After all; who wants a skinny little short tree that grows more side-ways than vertically?

Finding good Mugos boils down to two choices: One is go to Europe and harvest one from the Mountains that may be hundreds of years old and have magnificent twisted trunks and weathered dead wood, or two: Buy a sheared by machine Mugo Pine that has been grown by some nursery for the land scape trade. The way Mugos grow makes them a wonderful foundation or rock garden plant. The cutivational practices in the nurseries creates a host of problems that you need to over come. These trees can try the patience of a Saint. It takes an artistic eye to envision a bonsai amongst the branches. Once you get control of the tree they have the most amazing and beautiful growth habits.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry Sorce that I missed this thread. Somehow it got past me. Give me a couple of days to go through you ample album of the victim and I'll offer up what I think. Did you look at the videos around the nursery crawl series?

Yes Sir!
I am well versed in forgiving people for "old guy" syndrome. I work with two old guys who are aging me so fast I should bring my tree with e to see if they can age it too!

Thank you kindly!

Sorce

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Sorce: I coppied one of your pictures. From this angle and without seeing the entire tree in perspective here is my thinking. The larger branch on the right and the slightly curved branch above it should be the focus of your direction. In essence you are eliminating a good portion of the growth off the left side of the knuckle. As what you leave on the right developes, it will start to pull out the buldge and the remaining branches will extend and expand. Until you can start opening it up it is really difficult to see where you are going. If you can access some of the videos I have put up this year you might be able to figure out what I am doing and my way of thinking about it.SorceMugo.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In essence you are eliminating a good portion of the growth off the left side of the knuckle. As what you leave on the right developes, it will start to pull out the buldge and the remaining branches will extend and expand.

That is kind of how I envisioned it happening in my plan to get one side off next year. Thanks for the confirmation!

I may have cut those branches, one or both, but I do have a good one growing up, and a few good ones growing opposite of what will get bare.

I assume it's ok to leave a few branches on the same side as it pulls out the bulge?

I want to slowly, for base thickness and health, get it down to one. The one that backbuds most!

One more question.
I want to ONLY repot, OR prune all the way around to induce backbudding next year.
What would be a better use of the years energy?

Sorce

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
The tree is healthy and vigorous you should have no problem getting some adequate back budding. If you repot after the summer solstice you should be fine. It sounds like you are going in the right direction. We may see things differently as far as style but right now we need to settle on a direction with positive results.

Do you recall what the nursery tag said about the tree. This on looks like Tyrolean.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Home Depot.
Pinus Mugho.

I understand. The videos and pictures are logged into my brain, saved, and backed up!

When I open her up, we will find the direction!

Thank you! Goodnight for now!

Sorce

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love trains! Model railroading is my other other other hobby.

Sorce
This is all I have left from the model railroading days. This was from back in 1981, a Cibolo Crossing plaster building and a couple Durango Press wood kits with Kadee trucks and couplers.
DSCN05790001.JPG
DSCN05800002.JPG

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is all I have left from the model railroading days. This was from back in 1981, a Cibolo Crossing plaster building and a couple Durango Press wood kits with Kadee trucks and couplers.
View attachment 84767
View attachment 84768

Sweet! Did you weather the buiding?
Or did 1981? It looks great!

The plow is sick!

2 great pieces to still have!

Thanks for sharing!

Sorce

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I did all the painting and weathering. This is all narrow gauge stuff, HOn3. I was into logging and mining railroading.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Here's my lil 2x4ft N scale railroad.

I had an N-scale layout when I was a kid. I went to a train show a couple of years ago and thought it would be fun to start a layout with my kids. The starter layout with a couple of cars the engine and a loop of track was almost $200. I decided against it.

At some point I’d like to get into the other end of the size spectrum and start building a live steam locomotive. Something in the 1.5” scale, 7.25” gauge range.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Thanks for the HiJack everybody, I love model railroading too; but not here. I am sure there is a web site for that. There is the pictures thread.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I had an N-scale layout when I was a kid. I went to a train show a couple of years ago and thought it would be fun to start a layout with my kids. The starter layout with a couple of cars the engine and a loop of track was almost $200. I decided against it.

At some point I’d like to get into the other end of the size spectrum and start building a live steam locomotive. Something in the 1.5” scale, 7.25” gauge range.

Hell yeah!

Since "silver spoons" I wanted one!
Were talking about boilers right now!
Sounds like a wicked project!

I'm here holding you to it!
Oh. And my brother found some sick deals on eBay. And I find free craigslist stuff all the time!
Do it for the kids!

There is a good forum. If I can dig the link!

Sorce

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
start building a live steam locomotive
Were talking about boilers right now!
When I was buying my house, I put in an offer on a place next door to a guy with an awesome working steam traction engine in his driveway - I thought to myself "I want to be that guys neighbor!" I got outbid on that one.

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
I stared at the titel of this thread for at least a minute before it finally "clicked". It's the tirst fime I've ever seen it spelled like that!
Pop_Eyes.gif

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's a pair of monsters I tend to at 10WElm. Yes! Elm!

20151026_113449.jpg
20151026_113213.jpg

And the new stainless chimney going up 20 stories in spring!

Oh yeah!

SP4150.png
Thats my joint!

Sorce

Top Bottom