Pugo Mine

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
..... I was on that!
Sorce
So was I, mid to late 1950's. I lived in Melrose Park and actually went to school with the old man's grandson. And if I remember right it was just down from Russell's Bar-B-Q Beef house, which was acroess the street from that famous drive-in where all of the hot cars used to go - forgot the name of it.

I think we've sufficiently demonstrated that we're all "on the spectrum", if you know what I mean :)
Explains a lot actually.
Ooops!

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
........ One of the guys I work with grew up in Melrose Park!
Sorce

I lived on 22nd. Street and went a couple of years to Our Lady of Mt. Carmel which was the grounds for the Italian Feast every year, but that was around 1957 - 59. I also lived in Cicero and Elmhurst .......... so, so long ago. I even went to school in Wheaton and it was there I had a class mate from Berwyn. It's funny that I remember so much trivia like that! All in all I lived about 20 years in the U.S.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
The scenery was spectacular. A Sitka Spruce against the Mountain
Those are gorgeous little passenger cars. Just about the same ones they have on the Jamestown railway and Virginia and Truckee railroad.
That was one of the most interesting and beautiful things we did in Alaska. If you haven't gone you have to do it.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Had to Unknuck myself with this tree.
20160314_171709.jpg

There is like one maybe 2 more branches in the left that need to go.
20160314_171735.jpg
20160314_172258.jpg

It's just starting to come alive.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
20160420_184524.jpg
20160420_184600.jpg

Even the low branches..though smaller..
Are turning up strong to the light.
20160420_184617.jpg

Thinking maybe a cascade.
20160420_184818.jpg

Upon inspection of some of the circling surface roots....
A lot were dead! Good cuz.they gotta go!

Looking forward to seeing this grow.

Sorce

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Your photos are so close up that it is impossible to get any sort of idea what we are really looking at because we only get these little closeup snippets of a bigger element.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Your photos are so close up that it is impossible to get any sort of idea what we are really looking at because we only get these little closeup snippets of a bigger element.

That's how I keep naked kids out of the picture.

Just some gangly ass last year needles.
And quite a mess....

I will get you better pics next time I bring it up!

Sorce

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Naked kids out of the picture I think you need to find yourself a colander and plan on potting this guy into one of them. You are going to lose some of that stuff on the surface but I think you need to let the tree go for a year and see what is going to survive and what needs to be eliminated. Sometimes the Mugo train jumps the track and you have to wait to see how you are going to get back on. The tree is growing but the previous post about all of your close ups closes the door on references and relevance. Personally I would like to see some pictures of the tree, the entire tree, shown from four different directions. The trunk can still be the source of a good bonsai.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Naked kids out of the picture I think you need to find yourself a colander and plan on potting this guy into one of them. You are going to lose some of that stuff on the surface but I think you need to let the tree go for a year and see what is going to survive and what needs to be eliminated. Sometimes the Mugo train jumps the track and you have to wait to see how you are going to get back on. The tree is growing but the previous post about all of your close ups closes the door on references and relevance. Personally I would like to see some pictures of the tree, the entire tree, shown from four different directions. The trunk can still be the source of a good bonsai.

I have this problem with wanting to sort the roots out straight away....
So I leave it alone to avoid effing it to death.

But I've been thinking....
With all the feeders I'd likely get from a colander, it will make it safer to do root work later yes?

I want to, and almost need to get it into a colander....which I intend to do....again...this year....

Stay with me....I'm getting pics.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Come be a video...
I'm about 20 minutes.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

I cut some of the downward needles...
Some sideways....
To get light in...

Sorce

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Thank You for taking the time to make a video, I know how difficult it is to get one together that makes sense. I still want to watch it a couple of more times to get a sense of the tree's movement. The photos helped a lot.

I still think you need to remove the downward growing needles which I don't think has been done enough yet. Just the downward growing needles. You could do the top also but that's not necessary and it is important that you keep the side way growing needles. Keep the side way growing needles. Remember: Keep the side way growing needles. Then leave it alone for a year except to get it into a colander.

When starting with trees at this stage in life you are trying to shape the direction the tree is going to be growing as it ages into a condition that will make for a decent bonsai.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank You for taking the time to make a video, I know how difficult it is to get one together that makes sense. I still want to watch it a couple of more times to get a sense of the tree's movement. The photos helped a lot.

I still think you need to remove the downward growing needles which I don't think has been done enough yet. Just the downward growing needles. You could do the top also but that's not necessary and it is important that you keep the side way growing needles. Keep the side way growing needles. Remember: Keep the side way growing needles. Then leave it alone for a year except to get it into a colander.

Keep the sideways growing needles?
Lol....

I kind of just removed some for an idea of how and what happens....

Thank you!

Sorce

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Don't remove any more of them. You need those needles for programed back budding.

Top Bottom