Put your favorite stone you have on this thread (doesn’t have to be suiseki)

snowman04

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Is "dragon stone" a thing? I picked one up from my local garden center and put a ficus microcarpa cutting on top of it with a mostly pumice mix. It seems pretty delicate so I don't think it would endure a lot of freezing.

Just an example pic:
20230829_133820.png

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is "dragon stone" a thing? I picked one up from my local garden center and put a ficus microcarpa cutting on top of it with a mostly pumice mix. It seems pretty delicate so I don't think it would endure a lot of freezing.

Just an example pic:
View attachment 505776

"Dragon stone" is typically a prepared terrarium or aquarium stone mined and shaped in China. It is carved into shapes along with grooves, etc. It's not really suiseki, which are natural stone with no carving (although that can be a fluid thing, as some get surreptitiously carved or modified).

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Just about any stone can be the basis of a planting, but as our friend rightly says, suiseki are generally appreciated as found.
As to ficus m., forget freezing—you’d better be bringing it inside when temps go below 50 degrees F. It’ll be dead long before you get to 32.

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
"Dragon stone" is typically a prepared terrarium or aquarium stone mined and shaped in China. It is carved into shapes along with grooves, etc. It's not really suiseki, which are natural stone with no carving (although that can be a fluid thing, as some get surreptitiously carved or modified).
I’ve been seeing a lot more stones for sale on eBay, Etsy, etc. with the bottom sliced off to make placement easier. Like oiling or waxing a stone to simulate the patina of decades of handling, it seems to be becoming more widespread and acceptable. Not sure whether that’s good or bad.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’ve been seeing a lot more stones for sale on eBay, Etsy, etc. with the bottom sliced off to make placement easier. Like oiling or waxing a stone to simulate the patina of decades of handling, it seems to be becoming more widespread and acceptable. Not sure whether that’s good or bad.
I've noticed that too, as well as a ton of carved crap trying to pass for suiseki as well.

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That s neat. I really didn't know. I will have to take a closer look at them next time I am at my lgc.

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Just about any stone can be the basis of a planting, but as our friend rightly says, suiseki are generally appreciated as found.
As to ficus m., forget freezing—you’d better be bringing it inside when temps go below 50 degrees F. It’ll be dead long before you get to 32.
Oh yes, yes. The ficus come inside. It won't be too much longer now.

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I looked it up and really didn't find any information on how they were made. I saw at least one advertiser (as well as home depot) claiming that they were "natural", whatever that means. They did mention about clay being removed from the stones after many years and that this can be sped up mechanically/synthetically but didn't say how.
If there is a way to carve stone to look like that, I think it would be really cool to see the process.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I looked it up and really didn't find any information on how they were made. I saw at least one advertiser (as well as home depot) claiming that they were "natural", whatever that means. They did mention about clay being removed from the stones after many years and that this can be sped up mechanically/synthetically but didn't say how.
If there is a way to carve stone to look like that, I think it would be really cool to see the process.
Stones used in ornamental aquariums, etc. like Dragon stone and Seiryu stone is processed in many ways, including acid washes that remove softer deposits in the stone matrix. Some are intricately carved. Some is just washed, etc. You can carve Dragon stone (ohko stone) as it's pretty soft sedimentary rock. If you have a chisel and some time to learn how to use it. Power tools help as well, as in angle grinders, stone saws and the like. Good luck not losing a finger or an eye...

By Natural, they mean it's not poured concrete, etc. It's real stone.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
DSC_0217.JPG
Just updated our vanity. Probably from Brasil. Taurus same as Magma Gold, leathered.

Then a couple of souvenirs we collected from the West.
DSC_0224.JPG
This is a 2 fist sized piece of granite from the Crazy Horse memorial in the Black Hills of South Dakota.
1693344255037.png

DSC_0211.JPGDSC_0212.JPG
Petrified wood weighs maybe 8-10#

DSC_0227.JPG
No idea where this one came from except I saved it from when I closed up house and turned the keys over
to the new owner at my folks house.
also.. “Grilled Cheese Rock”
DSC_0216.JPG
How about Smores rock? Chocolate rock with try colour marshmallow minis.
Mostly pink and gray, but there's a little yellow in one or 2 of them.

DSC_0225.JPG
Don't think I'd ever use this red ?sand stone? from Utah in a planting but it's pretty cool.
My wife found it alongside a road somewhere in Utah. It's deeply grooved, maybe river silt and heat.
About 3cm thick.
I have always thought about using the other pieces of petrified wood behind it in a planting.
Some of the petrified wood is more porous than the majority densley formed stone.
Would that be an issue for the stone wicking moisture?
Sorry the coal is at my moms house :) and it can wick moisture and break apart.

Last edited:

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Flat cutting the bottom of a suiseki is generally considered acceptable, although an uncut stone usually has more value. Tom Elias, suiseki expert and author of several books on viewing stones has told me that most stones sold in Japan and China have been altered in some way if not outright manufactured. Also a light coat of oil is a common way to bring out the beauty of a suiseki and perfectly legit. That said, Stones with true age and provenance are treasures. Doesn't mean you can't enjoy a gorgeous stone that has been manipulated.

Top Bottom