Random Of Doom!

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Just for fun, this is the thread dedicated to discussion of the weird. Unexplained or obscure phenomena, crazy pictures or videos, obviously false conspiracy theories, or maybe you just feel like asking a random question that you could easily look up, but where's the fun in that?

Rules of conduct
Act with at least half a wit please. This is for intelligent discussion of stupid topics. Or serious discussion of ridiculous topics. Maybe even professorial discussion of plebian topics.
Keep it 1980s level PG-13; SFW topics with loads of NSFW language.
There is no excuse for rudeness.
Inevitably, something will involve politics. Remember, all politicians are lying bastards (seriously, it's scientifically proven); wreck them with EQUALITY. There is no correct view except the view that politicians are all lying bastards. No one is safe. Be polite.
If you feel like taking it personal, just remember it's the internet; it's not real. Even here, it's still just the internet. Remember when that was the rule? I miss it, too. Let's do it again.

So let's have some good clean fun.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'll start us off with a relatively and somewhat on topic topic.
The crooked forest in Poland
A grove of pines in a forest in southern Poland that all bend sharply at their base before curving back upwards like they're supposed to. Planted in the 1930s, but then no one knows what happened to make them lay over, but still stay healthy and alive.
I've come across this one several times over the years, including, if I recall, an episode of Ancient Aliens. I figured since no one else has figured it out that a bunch of people who specialize in making trees in odd shapes should take a crack at it.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
What was the representation of your “face”... before you were born?

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I'll start us off with a relatively and somewhat on topic topic.
The crooked forest in Poland
A grove of pines in a forest in southern Poland that all bend sharply at their base before curving back upwards like they're supposed to. Planted in the 1930s, but then no one knows what happened to make them lay over, but still stay healthy and alive.
I've come across this one several times over the years, including, if I recall, an episode of Ancient Aliens. I figured since no one else has figured it out that a bunch of people who specialize in making trees in odd shapes should take a crack at it.
I’ve seen this before! SO neat!

I like to think that they were designed, originally, with boat-construction timber in mind...
But have not yet delved into the subject at all.

Another possibility, i guess could be local geographical disruption within the forests lifetime, causing abrupt shifts to the overall topography of that area.. those trees, and altering their growing angles. ;) But that’s a LOOOOONG shot. Fun to consider, none-the-less.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I’ve seen this before! SO neat!

I like to think that they were designed, originally, with boat-construction timber in mind...
But have not yet delved into the subject at all.
The article in the link suggests wooden wheel frames, but that doesn't make sense to me. Timeframe of 1930s planting would mean the planters likely knew that wooden wheels were well into their last days. I don't think it was intentional at all. I just don't get that feeling from it.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is not that odd but it is curious. I thought about it a lot when building grow beds this year.
If you have a 12 foot board and want to make a grow bed in even feet, you have three obvious obvious choices:
1 x 5 / 2 x 4 / 3 x 3
They all have the same board feet but,
1 x 5 is 5 square feet
2 x 4 is 8 square feet
3 x 3 is 9 square feet

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This is not that odd but it is curious. I thought about it a lot when building grow beds this year.
If you have a 12 foot board and want to make a grow bed in even feet, you have three obvious obvious choices:
1 x 5 / 2 x 4 / 3 x 3
1 x 5 is 5 square feet
2 x 4 is 8 square feet
3 x 3 is 9 square feet
So, you're saying they were intentionally trying to angle them for use in a planned construction of some sort?

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
1 x 5 / 2 x 4 / 3 x 3
1 x 5 is 5 square feet
2 x 4 is 8 square feet
3 x 3 is 9 square feet

Much like the flatlander knows neither up nor down.....

🤣🤣🤣

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So, you're saying they were intentionally trying to angle them for use in a planned construction of some sort?
I am not really saying anything except it is interesting.
And who is they?
Much like the flatlander knows neither up nor down.....

🤣🤣🤣
I know what you are saying but don't know the relevance.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I am not really saying anything except it is interesting.
And who is they?

I know what you are saying but don't know the relevance.
I was referring, theoretically, to the variance in square footage amongst your dimensions as “lost in an unobservable plane”... just goofing.

:)

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So a hexagon using that same 12 linear feet is a tad over 10 sq ft. That's cool. Must be why bee engineers are so found of it. But darned if I want to go there for a simple grow bed. It would look cool though. The plant rows would look like a game of Chinese checkers.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So a hexagon using that same 12 linear feet is a tad over 10 sq ft. That's cool. Must be why bee engineers are so found of it. But darned if I want to go there for a simple grow bed. It would look cool though. The plant rows would look like a game of Chinese checkers.
The further you increase the number of segments the closer you get to a circle. And a circle has the largest area for its circumference.
You do however loose length everytime you cut it. Unless of course, you only cut it 90% of the way and then bend the last fibres. That would give you near-perfect circle with maximu area-to-board ratio.

1602925460541.png

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Would also make a cool looking plant bed but it would lack in economy of bed spacing.
Still think my original post is interesting because all three examples have four sides but same number of linear board feet. (and take about 20 minutes to build)

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Milton or Allighieri? When it comes to painting a vivid, interesting picture of weeping and gnashing of teeth?

Which construct do YOU most prefer?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

This illustrates why growing them in that way creates an easier, more efficient "board foot" for them boats.

No need to round the rounded.

Has to be stronger, likely, seemingly, unnecessary stronger.

What does @ABCarve think. Sorry to pull you into this debate, which may be rather boring.

Sorce

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
The only pine I’ve ever heard of being used for boat building in this manner is yellow pine. Used as futtocks for sawn framing. BUT.... if a frog had wings he wouldn’t bump his ass so much!!

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Milton or Allighieri? When it comes to painting a vivid, interesting picture of weeping and gnashing of teeth?

Which construct do YOU most prefer?

Milton is the source of the epic angel versus demon we all think of, which is deserving of it's place in culture.
However, I do prefer Alighieri's more homocentric depictions. They feel more personable, as in directly relating to the human experience.

Top Bottom