Random stuff my brother digs up

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
My thoughts are it’s some kind of liquidambar, even if not the standard styraciflua. Though there seems to be quite a lot of variation of sweetgum leaves, with some smooth and some more irregular from what I can see.

That’s coming from a European who’s barely seen a mature one so I am far from knowing them intimately. I instantly know it’s not a Campestre or a pseudoplatanus without needing to see bud configuration because the structure is wrong. I wish I knew the correct terms, but it’s not just the shape, but the rigidity, the sheen on the leaf, the veins, the undersides, the colours, the petioles, the stems... etc but I just have to look out of my window to see them, they are everywhere round here. Sweetgum are not so my ID is only really an internet one. Oriental plane perhaps?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Alternate buds so no Acer.
Liquidamber (at least the ones I know) have a strong and distinctive smell when the leaves are crushed or branches/roots cut.
Not sure why some are still so against this being liquidamber (except maybe embarrassment for such a way out original ID?). Leaf shape is classic, color of new shoots is correct.

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For the last few years, my brother (trying to be nice, I guess) has been digging up and gifting me with random junk from his yard. I wasn't really interested in the various weeds and junk stuff he dug up and it all died anyway. Yesterday's contribution was this sweet gum from his yard. I read a bit in threads here and naturally this is not the time to dig them. I guess I'll try and get it into a nursery container and some soil when I get home, just to say I tried. I have seen some nice examples as bonsai, I just wish he would have asked #1 did I want it, and #2 if so, when he should dig it up. Any tips for trying to keep it alive are appreciated. View attachment 318916
Definitely a sweetgum. You must defoliate if it's going to have any chance. I collect them mostly in May; that seems to give the best chance for survival.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
You must defoliate if it's going to have any chance.
Will do, thanks. @Shibui advised the same. I don't have high hopes, there weren't many roots. But he has already asked me if thought the tree would make it, so I guess I have to try.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is all very interesting. There must be quite a bit of variation in the leaves on sweetgum. Around here they look like the leaf I pictured. I wonder if they grow differently north and south?

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Will do, thanks. @Shibui advised the same. I don't have high hopes, there weren't many roots. But he has already asked me if thought the tree would make it, so I guess I have to try.
It's all up to the tree. You don't have to have a lot of roots when you lift a tree, since you usually don't get any feeders anyway and with sweetgum seldom do you get even fibrous roots. The larger ones I lift mostly have the big fat radial roots that I cut way back for future bonsai pot purposes.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Carol,
First of all, you have a very sweet brother! I admire him!
Your tree is looked like Liquidamber orientalis to me. If you rub its leaf, it should give you very pleasant, sweet smell.
This is the leaves of Liquidamber orientalis in my yard
B0CB4EA0-E2F3-48C9-9C4E-2DE46C90BCA2.jpeg 3F0DAF6F-C809-4B34-90FB-0AE03DD33BDA.jpeg
Thụ Thoại

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Hi Carol,
First of all, you have a very sweet brother! I admire him!
Your tree is looked like Liquidamber orientalis to me. If you rub its leaf, it should give you very pleasant, sweet smell.
This is the leaves of Liquidamber orientalis in my yard
View attachment 319733 View attachment 319734
Thụ Thoại
Yes, he is just trying to be nice, I know. That's why I am trying to save it. Unfortunately, I can't smell the leaves, because I have defoliated it, as advised. Fingers crossed.

Top Bottom