Recent visit with Ryan Neil

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have contacted Ryan about the pictures that I have posted. He does not have a problem with them but he does want to maintain control over how pictures of his garden are released publically. I respect that and understand completely. So sorry these are the only pictures I’ll post. If there is anything specific that I might have a picture of PM me.

I wish I had taken more pictures. It was hard to focus on one thing because there was so much to see. I also found that it was difficult to photograph the trees well in a garden setting. There is too much in the background that distracts from the tree itself. It was also very hard to capture the depth of the trees. Photographing bonsai is a skill in itself.

Whatever it is, I think the professional thing to do is give proper reason and notification if you are cancelling prior commitments...and as early as possible. Not through rumor and from someone else like another event prior.

It doesn’t seem fair to judge someone on second or third hand information. Based on what he has accomplished since he has returned to the states he has not been idle for long. A bit of a break does not seem unreasonable.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yes, more photos would be nice, thanks for posting these. Did you see any deciduous trees at all???

The majority of the collection was conifers. He did have some deciduous but not nearly as many. He certainly has the skill to work with deciduous trees but his preference is conifers.

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
It is a real bummer to lose a talent like that but I fully understand that a guy's gotta do what he has to do....:)

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It doesn’t seem fair to judge someone on second or third hand information. Based on what he has accomplished since he has returned to the states he has not been idle for long. A bit of a break does not seem unreasonable.

I admire the guy and I am not judging him.

FYI, There is an incident months ago about a major show they are supposed to put up this year. Vendors and attendees complained about not given enough time to cancel booking and learned most about the cancellation via "rumors". It finally came in as an announcement (from Michael Hagedorn) but even that seem not broadcasted enough.

I do not care if he has to cancel all of his commitments...just saying that it need to be done in reasonable time & properly. To me, it doesn't matter if he never slept a wink either, he should manage his schedule properly. No one to blame but himself.

Like me, there are thousands of people who would love to meet & listen to him. It is disheartening to lose that chance but done properly, people will understand.

reddog

Mame
Reaction score
Comment?

I admire the guy and I am not judging him.

FYI, There is an incident months ago about a major show they are supposed to put up this year. Vendors and attendees complained about not given enough time to cancel booking and learned most about the cancellation via "rumors". It finally came in as an announcement (from Michael Hagedorn) but even that seem not broadcasted enough.

I do not care if he has to cancel all of his commitments...just saying that it need to be done in reasonable time & properly. To me, it doesn't matter if he never slept a wink either, he should manage his schedule properly. No one to blame but himself.

Like me, there are thousands of people who would love to meet & listen to him. It is disheartening to lose that chance but done properly, people will understand.
Nobody wanted to touch this comment from Poink88?

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Nobody wanted to touch this comment from Poink88?

I'm on a break from Poink88.

FWIW, I've had several conversations with Ryan about his now-postponed visit here in November, and he's been nothing but professional, responsive, and upfront about the situation, and I wish him and his expectant bride the best. We will meet in time.

bob shimon

Mame
Reaction score
Our study group met with him this past June, and he explained that he is canceling his study groups and traveling. He has no one to care for the trees at the nursery and feels that they haven't gotten the proper attention while he was gone. Being married and having a baby due in Nov are also factors. I took some trees up to him in Aug, and he has a bunch of projects going on, including building a barn (combination workshop, office, and photography room) While disappointed that he won't be traveling, I understand how hectic his life has been. Hopefully, in the future, when is life settles down, we will see him our way again.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I can't really imagine how he could maintain both a collection like he has, and the travel schedule he's been on - at least, not without an army of trained assistants or advanced apprentices.

Chris

Top Bottom