Red Elm: Cornfed Edition

cornfed

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The Red Elm is also known as the Slippery Elm, but its Scientific Name is Ulmus Rubra.

Screenshot 2021-05-05 164654.pngScreenshot 2021-05-05 164642.png

I purchased this guy in a one-gallon pot as a year-old seedling. It was originally planted in a 80% pine bark compost mix. I did the potting on 4/17/21, before the other trees, because the buds were starting to wake up.

20210417_183558.jpg

My goal for this tree is to thicken the trunk and develop the roots by repotting it in a larger, 5-gallon Rootmaker container with a more air-retentive soil. I realize I could plant it in the ground for maximum thickening, but I simply don't want to.

20210417_184831.jpg
The roots were really gnarly, reminded me of a hurricane symbol.

20210417_185646.jpg
I cut quite a few back. Removed some crossing/binding roots.

20210417_185641.jpg
I made a flat cut across the bottom. I'm not sure if I feel good about it though.

20210417_190437.jpg
After removing so much root, I found the tree lacked stability so I also removed the four-foot long leader pictured above.

IMG_6855.JPG
On photo day! 5/1/2021

I'm using a kitchen-sink blend as a substrate. I ultimately need 50+gallons of substrate to up-pot my newly acquired trees, so using up as much of the material I have recently purchased for my soil tests was beneficial. I tweaked my soil from the previous trees I planted, removing the fine particles (fine sphagnum peat moss and #1 Grit) to increase the saturated porosity. The mix was 3:3:2:2, sifted pine bark, Turface, DE and #2 Grit.

I tested the soil's mechanical properties at 38% Saturated Porosity (air-filled space), and 25% Field Capacity (water-filled space) after draining. Hopefully it will work, because conventional substrates are difficult to find.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice. I love Rubra, ain't found another since the first kicked in like year 2!

With plants as this, with a base you'll quicker make better with an airlayer, repotting becomes a waste of time and resources, though you do get the practice.

What happened to the ones FROM rootmaker bags?

Sorce

cornfed

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Nice. I love Rubra, ain't found another since the first kicked in like year 2!

With plants as this, with a base you'll quicker make better with an airlayer, repotting becomes a waste of time and resources, though you do get the practice.

What happened to the ones FROM rootmaker bags?

Sorce

The practice was good. Like 10 trees, different species, different root situations. It was good.

All of these saplings I am planting were grown in the 1-gallon rootmaker injection-molded containers. That nursery uses the bags on larger trees I believe.

I put them into 5-gallon rootmaker injection molded containers, mostly because they sold me some at cost so it was a great deal. I'd rather use the RootBuilderII, I think it would work even better.

I didn't wire this down, planted it pretty high in that container and cut some of the deeper roots off. That made it too unstable and I had to make that cut so it wouldn't fall over. Else an air-layer would've been a great idea. I'll be doing some air layers later this summer for sure. (After the leaf cuticles form, I think is the right time?)

Learning by doing... that's what this year is all about. Thanks for the comment Sorce!

Top Bottom