Red Maple Cuttings

Hump

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So I have a red maple that grew along the side of the house the past two years. It grew so quick, and I had to cut it down. The roots are too close to the house. I figured why not piss off the ole lady and add some more pots to the porch. Took 3 thick cuttings and put them in perlite. 2 of them have sprouted nicely in just a couple of weeks. I'm hopeful they rooted. Should I just leave them in the perlite all winter that it's in, or should I check them for roots in let's say October and put them in a mix over winter?

Attachments

• 20200916_181414.jpg
    20200916_181414.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 20200916_181417.jpg
    20200916_181417.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 20200916_181431.jpg
    20200916_181431.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 20200916_181435.jpg
    20200916_181435.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 20200916_181447.jpg
    20200916_181447.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 33

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You need to be patient. It's common for cuttings to produce foliage like this from stored energy. If they stop extending, it's just a few leaves and the cuttings won't produce roots. If they keep on extending, you can expect root growth but by no means should you disturb those new roots at this time of year. One thing you need to be cognizant of is that your new foliage will be very susceptible to transpiration losses and wilting. I'd suggest a clear produce bag from the grocery store over each. And shade only, no direct sun.

Hump

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You need to be patient. It's common for cuttings to produce foliage like this from stored energy. If they stop extending, it's just a few leaves and the cuttings won't produce roots. If they keep on extending, you can expect root growth but by no means should you disturb those new roots at this time of year. One thing you need to be cognizant of is that your new foliage will be very susceptible to transpiration losses and wilting. I'd suggest a clear produce bag from the grocery store over each. And shade only, no direct sun.

Thanks for the info!!! Yeah I figured stored energy, but I have high hopes still. So to what you suggested about nothing birthing the roots. Do you think it's okay to leave them in 100% perlite over winter? I've never had anything in all perlite before and not sure how long they can last in this past just getting roots

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the info!!! Yeah I figured stored energy, but I have high hopes still. So to what you suggested about nothing birthing the roots. Do you think it's okay to leave them in 100% perlite over winter? I've never had anything in all perlite before and not sure how long they can last in this past just getting roots
You really don't have much choice but to leave them in Perlite over winter. Not saying it's a good medium, just that disturbing any new roots this time of year is a no-no. They won't have any growing season left to overcome the transplant shock.

Your cuttings are quite large for the species, too. Ideally we root smaller ones, about 1/8" in diameter give or take. Yours look to be at least an inch thick. Very low probability of rooting successfully. Live and learn, right?

Hump

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You really don't have much choice but to leave them in Perlite over winter. Not saying it's a good medium, just that disturbing any new roots this time of year is a no-no. They won't have any growing season left to overcome the transplant shock.

Your cuttings are quite large for the species, too. Ideally we root smaller ones, about 1/8" in diameter give or take. Yours look to be at least an inch thick. Very low probability of rooting successfully. Live and learn, right?

One is 1 1/4th inch and the other is 1 1/2 inch. Yes lol it was more of a go big moment as I had nothing to lose, and was in a rush to get it down. When I finally got it done, I was like okay why not. I already have enough trees right now that I didn't care to have one unless it was a biggin. I could've air layered it, but it needed to go so the roots ddidnt harm my foundation. (I did leave just a tad of it left just in case I decided to air layer before winter. But will more than likely just cut it out. But boy has it back budded on the original already. It's only been like 2 weeks and has 4 stems and leaves already. I've never seen a tree put out leaves so quick. Even on the cuttings. It must have a ton of stored energy.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The larger the stem , the more stored energy.
I was making a delivery to house house in Richmond, VA about 1974-75 of some mulch or some other nursery products to a house in a rural area that had just installed a livestock fence using greenwood poles from harvested trees. Some of the fence posts, sycamore among them, were happily growing along with very healthy looking sprouts that were 2 and 4 feet long. They lasted until the weather got hot but actively sprouted and grew for over 3 months.
All stored energy. None of these posts became trees.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I had to go check if all your threads started on a Wednesday!

Sorce

Hump

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The larger the stem , the more stored energy.
I was making a delivery to house house in Richmond, VA about 1974-75 of some mulch or some other nursery products to a house in a rural area that had just installed a livestock fence using greenwood poles from harvested trees. Some of the fence posts, sycamore among them, were happily growing along with very healthy looking sprouts that were 2 and 4 feet long. They lasted until the weather got hot but actively sprouted and grew for over 3 months.
All stored energy. None of these posts became trees.

Just goes to show you how much these little guys can go off of storage. Hopefully next spring they continue their journey and I find some roots in the bottom.

Hump

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I had to go check if all your threads started on a Wednesday!

Sorce

Lmao do they? That's an interesting trend. Makes sense, Monday I usually am catching up on work, Tuesday I somewhat relax and find myself getting into trouble curious on what else I can do. So Wednesdays look to be the day I would probably ask for help lol.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lmao do they?

One was a Tuesday for me, but it might have been Wednesday for you?
Lol!

I just been thinking, "are they into camels or dog breeding?, Something more sinister perhaps?"..

Sorce

Hump

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
One was a Tuesday for me, but it might have been Wednesday for you?
Lol!

I just been thinking, "are they into camels or dog breeding?, Something more sinister perhaps?"..

Sorce

I'm normally very clever with banter, however I've sat here neglecting my work for the past 10 minutes trying to figure out your joke 😂. It's going over my head for sure

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm normally very clever with banter, however I've sat here neglecting my work for the past 10 minutes trying to figure out your joke 😂. It's going over my head for sure

Go back to work!

Sorce

Hump

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ohhh ohh I got it! My name. (I think 🤔 lol). Last name's Humphrey, so of course my nickname has always been Hump. Yes Wednesday(s) has always been a distinguished day for me.

Top Bottom