Reuse soil?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Most of you appear to have been lucky so far and have not had problems with pests and disease. That is a far bigger risk than salt accumulation or even component breakdown. You can spot some infections and some pests when repotting but others are far harder to spot. Reusing soil components without sanitising is just asking to spread any number of problems through your pots. Nursery code of practice over here even forbids resue of pots now to reduce disese spread.
The more trees you have the greater the risk of disease and also the greater the loss when something takes off in your plants.

Baking soil in the sun will kill off some problems but some may nor receive enough UV or get high enough temp to kill off all problems.
Solarising in a black plastic bag will often raise the temp enough to kill off some but can be hit and miss depending on sun strength and how much mix is in the bag.
An old* microwave, frypan or steamer can take the temp of small quantities of soil up over pasturising temp - about 72F 160F which deals with most plant pathogens.

*please note that using any of these implements to treat soil of any sort in the kitchen can lead to far greater problems than a few sick plants.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Well I am not so obsessed about the used soil; if it is soil I didn't mix myself, I don't use it; if it is my mix, I sift and use it again.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
My reasoning is, if I am not bare rooting, some of the old soil and its pathogens will still be present in the new pot, right?
But...
If the tree is sick or dead, of course I don't reuse its soil. Throw everything away.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
f I am not bare rooting, some of the old soil and its pathogens will still be present in the new pot, right?
But...
this would mean you reuse on the same plant?

I have a big barrel under my table where substrate accumulates over winter. Come summer I put it out in the sun to bake. So I get to mix whatever is in one pot, in the rest of the pots. So any plant that had issues means that substrate is binned.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
this would mean you reuse on the same plant?

I guess I didn't make myself understandable.
I meant that when it is repotting time and I *don't* bareroot a tree, even if I use a brand new soil mix, some old soil among the roots will be mixed into the new soil, carrying with it any microbes and pathogens.
So being paranoid about sterile soils all the time is useless, *unless* you bareroot all trees before repotting, which is not my case at all.
Answering your question,; No, I do somehow the same as you, keeping all the "good" used soil mixed together in a large plastic container and sifting some when needed.

Last edited:

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So being paranoid about sterile soils all the time is useless,
I think the risk is more in having one seemingly healthy, but in fact sick, plant, repot, and use the soil in another pot for another tree. Spreading the infection to other pots

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have been reusing the granular part of my substrate (lava rock and pumice) for years. I sieve it in a cement mixer, get rid of most of the organic part by rinsing it, also in the cement mixer.

Maybe I am wrong but I don't feel overly concerned by spreading diseases through this mean nor I try to sterilize it. As most micro-organisms have resistance forms, one must use very aggressive means (high temperatures, chemicals) to really change remove unwanted germs. And then, one would be confronted to the well known situation where an unwanted microorganism is free to colonize a new medium quickly because there is no other competitors in it. My understanding is that pathogens are everywhere but most of their are contained by competition with other microorganisms in a healthy substrate.

Anyway, if I had not almost free water (I have a well) and my cement mixer to work for me, I wouldn't reuse my substrate : too much work for the price.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Top Bottom