Reusing soil?

Chris Frechette

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This is probably a dumb question, but is it ok to reuse soil from a healthy plant when reporting if the soil particles aren’t too broken down?

I recycle my soil. I basically have a few big tubs where all the used soil goes, which is sundried whenever we get a few minutes of sun :rolleyes:. As it is drying I pull out any roots, wire, and ther stuff that ends up in the po over the season. That I sift with a coars seeve and reuse in spring, typically I mix in a bit more bark as this falls apart during the 6 months of non-growing season. So normaly I have a number of boxes of cleaned dried substrate laying about for repotting.

I do not use acadama though, but ground baked clay as core component (artificial lava) which does not break down at all.

I recycle, but usually only for plants I'm growing out, still pretty early in development.

Inorganic = 5 mm particle.
Organic = sifted aged compost.

When repotting we sift out the used organic and re-use the inorganic
with fresh aged compost.
Soil is usually on the dryish side.

Used organic goes to the vegetable pits.
Good Day
Anthony

I reuse my substrate. Spread it out in the sun to dry then resift. Anything that is broken down gets sifted out.

Great Thread. In my local club people think I am crazy for re-using the substrate. Happy I am not the only one!

I reuse my soil, too.
Sift first to discard decomposed organic component.
Haven't yet properly solarize my soil in order to sanitize it but I want to do so shortly.
Further note : almost all my trees are in varying development stage.

Back
Top Bottom