"Ring" Stand!

Reaction score
Cool stand!
If I may ask, did you curve the ring yourself? If so, how did you do that?
I'm asking because I'd like to build a ring stand too, and I like yours much.

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Great job! I guess we would like a bit more about the materials and process. Thanks again.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Wow, that's very nice... DIY...I will need one, but they're sinny expensive. I'll have to go for some cheap eBayisch one.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Precious!

Sorce

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Round is always a PITA. Nice work!
Can I suggest that the ring be tapered on future projects, so that the top is about 1/2 as wide as the bottom. It seems more delicate that way.
CW

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I made one in 1996. I had no desire to make anymore. I had a terrible time attaching the hoop ( thats what I called it) to the base. I like yours closer to the edge where it can be attached much easier.

Disclaimer: the trees at the end are "Sucky Sunday" pics. Just goes to show if you keep at it you too can make better trees. Check out my first trident maple. It had no branches at all on it. I purchased it from Sandy Planting, along with her husband John, kinda an icon in California bonsai. The tree did get lots better with the years.

Look! My hair was semi brown and I only weighed 175 pounds.

0010001.JPG 0020002.JPG 0030003.JPG 0040004.JPG 0050005.JPG

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just curious, any thought on using the metal wine barrel rings for a stand like this? I know there are 22 and 25 inch diameter rings sold for about $5 or $6 a piece...Laminating is a PITA and expensive.

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
And I thought assembling a kids bike at Christmas was difficult.

artofthedaiza

Shohin
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada Mountains 2 hours east of Sacramento
I made one in 1996. I had no desire to make anymore. I had a terrible time attaching the hoop ( thats what I called it) to the base. I like yours closer to the edge where it can be attached much easier.

Disclaimer: the trees at the end are "Sucky Sunday" pics. Just goes to show if you keep at it you too can make better trees. Check out my first trident maple. It had no branches at all on it. I purchased it from Sandy Planting, along with her husband John, kinda an icon in California bonsai. The tree did get lots better with the years.

Look! My hair was semi brown and I only weighed 175 pounds.

View attachment 102727 View attachment 102728 View attachment 102729 View attachment 102730 View attachment 102731
Interesting joinery.

Evan

Seedling
Reaction score
Well done! Great sense of scale. On the ring laminating process, did you clamp it with clamps to a mold, or possibly use a vacuum bag? I'm a woodworking guy and so I've been spoiled in some techniques. I always admire when a person gets an idea in their head to make something and stops at nothing to make it happen! Seeing your work inspires me to make one of my own!

Top Bottom