RIP Jim Lewis

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
In the 70s, there was a folk revival that reached France too. One of the first songs I learned to pick when i was in my early teens was "Freight Train". Jim told me that he personaly met Elizabeth Cotton and had the pleasure to play along with her.

OK, it's my fifth pint and my mind is beginning to ramble, but to me, he's riding on these railroad tracks, heading to a place he only knows.

The tree's been blown away, the roots are still alive, and the arrogant young saplings are hoboes...

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think we should all go and clean up our benches for Jim.

I don't think there will be a day of clean up I won't think of JKL.

Go clean up your trees in memory of our good friend!

I am!

Sorce

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very sad news. I will miss him greatly.

He's been a staple on bonsai sites since, well, since bonsai on the Internet began. He knew what he was talking about and always shared his knowledge. Bonsai has lost another great one.

Thanks Jim.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Death is the final destination of us all, but that is not what matters. It's the journey we take along the way. I believe Jim had a wonderful journey. RIP and prayers to his family and friends.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow, sad news to log onto. I didn't know him personally or have much of an online connection with him, but he really seemed to enjoy helping newbies out, no matter how cantankerous he appeared online.

Years ago, he posted a good rule of thumb when working with rough stock: Start from the bottom and work your way up, and once the trunk stops being interesting, chop it. Good advice, and once I started taking that approach rather than fighting boring trunk lines, my trees improved. Thanks Jim :)

Ross

Shohin
Reaction score
I remember Jim would always say to keep a rounded, not pointy apex on deciduous trees. There have been several times I seriously thought of Jim when I noticed my trees looked a little "pointy" and realized they would look better rounded as he suggested. I will miss him and the board won't be the same without him.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm very sad to read this. I didn't know Jim but I always admired his trees. He seemed to have a style all his own - I could always tell when I was looking at one of his trees. I was especially fond of his work with crape myrtles. RIP Jim.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I read the title to the thread and skipped through a couple posts but it didn’t dawn on me it was jkl who passed until I read Brian Van Fleet’s post. This is indeed a very poignant moment. Jim was always very helpful to me and its times like this that really puts things into perspective. There are real people behind those avatars that have knowledge and are willing to share it if we let them. Like the person reading this, they have families and on this forum they are part of another family. A family that argues fusses and fights but also shares a true bond in their love of the trees. I’m proud to have known Jim Lewis and I’m going to miss him. RIP Brother..

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Jim will be missed! It is so funny how we build notions of people based on their comments on the forums. Although cantankerous and curmudgeonly online...he was one of the most soft spoken and kind folks you would ever meet in person. Some where in the past, a good friend of mine was asked to do a workshop for Jim's club. This friend was extremely nervous when he discovered that Jim would be in the workshop...knowing him only from his online persona at that point. Turned out to be a great experience for both people!

Rest with the Trees Jim!!!

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I don't know if I personally ever interacted with Jim but he seemed willing to help anybody (as long as they posted their pics right side up). And I did enjoy his mame plants he posted on IBC, in particular that cascading cotoneaster in the white and blue pot.

RIP Jim

Top Bottom