Roadside Bonsai Van Guy Buy

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
They're crap. Mostly sold for their cute widdle blooms and not much else. Rats are also easily propagated, doesn't make them worth keeping or buying. By now, you probably know I have extreme prejudice against this "tree" or bush, or sickly weed.;) It's not worth the money because it's CRAP.:eek::):):)

Maybe that is because you can't grow them, or don't know how. They are quite easy to grow and while the flowers are nice, they do have other nice attributes. Did you google it? Any links on how hard they are to propagate?

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Memphis has a cat that sells bonsai from a van. I thought this sounded amazing.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Be aware that large cuts will rot ------ [ ] this size and up.

Take cuttings.
Good Day
Anthony

Not true! You know that in the distant past they invented something called "cut paste". It was somewhat of a miracle product, you could put this paste on tree wounds that were subject to rot and it seal it against the outside elements. Most of the time the tree could heal itself. Who would've thunk it?

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You must keep in mind, Grimmy, this is a guy who posts in every bald cypress thread, but never posts pictures of his bald cypress, just a bunch of googled links to useless info trying to justify that everyone is doing it wrong, yet never offering to show what he has done the "right way".

Now it is serissa, I am surprised that we didn't get 50+ googled links saying why serissa are poor bonsai.
Jesus, leave and the knives come out. I've posted photos of my BC many times. Here's one. below . Got the stump from Zach Smith in the late 90's, like 97 or 98. You outta high school by then? There are more here if you search.bigbc.jpg

I don't really give a shit if you do it 'the right way' You obviously have your own opinion.

As for the serissa stuff--you might want to grow a sense of humor along with your BC, or at least drag your funny bone up from underneath the water in your tub. I WAS GIVING THE GUY A FREAKING HARD TIME, for crying out loud. I happen to think serissa is not all that great for bonsai and is sold by mass market bonsai makers primarily because the flowers sell a lot of them to beginners -- they're not all that common as material in shows and/or exhibits, as more experience bonsaiists don't really use them all that much. There is more responsive and attractive material, in my opinion. You may feel differently.

Last edited:

Bonsai901

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I think we all need to calm down a bit here. Let's face it we are all a bit dumb, we spend thousands on fractions of trees that grow full-size for free...LMAO

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
There are no serissa in the National Bonsai

I was referring to the Nationals in Rochester, NY - just now noticed your statement :p

Got the stump from Zach Smith in the late 90's, like 97 or 98. You outta high school by then?

shots fired.png

Grimmy

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was referring to the Nationals in Rochester, NY - just now noticed your statement :p

Grimmy
I know you were referring to Bill's show. Just pointing out that there are no serissa in the NBF's bonsai and penjing museum, not even in the Chinese pavilion, which has all kinds of unusual and traditional species. I say that because it's notable that other species sold at roadside stands are included in the museum's exhibits -- Chinese elm, juniper, even sweet plum.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I regret I did not take a picture of my friend's serissa at our repotting meeting, it would soothe the souls of lovers of big trees. I hope next time.
... just a few examples...
... a sweet shohin from google
Serissa.jpg

... a few trees from one EU eshop
serissa Xtra.jpg serissa f..jpg images (1).jpg Bonsai_Serissa_f.jpg

... mame from fukubonsai
fuku-mame-serrisa.jpg

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I regret I did not tak a picture of my friend's serissa at our repotting meeting, it would soothe the souls of lovers of big trees. I hope next time.
... just a few examples...
... a sweet shohin from google
View attachment 194696

... a few trees from one EU eshop
View attachment 194697View attachment 194699View attachment 194700View attachment 194701

... mame from fukubonsai
View attachment 194702
Very Nice trees, but look closer at some of the features--they're interesting, but have some, well, gaps like most of our trees do.

Funny arguably the best one here is the mame from Fuku bonsai.

They didn't get it from Yee-Sun Wu...It is his collection that makes up the bulk of the Chinese Pavilion at the museum. Everything from Sageretia, Fukien tea, and elm. His book on lingnan style penjing, Man Lung Artistic Pot Plants, was a definitive work on Penjing. It was published in 1967. I have a copy--may be wrong, but I don't think there is a serissa in it. That would indicate to me that this species is largely a creation of a beginner's market that buys flashy flowers...;-) and ALOT of them as beginners have traditionally had a VERY hard time keeping them alive for more than a year. Ask any of the old timers from Bonsai Talk about Christmas (aka Serissa season) and the unavoidable "my serissa is dieing how do I save it" questions...

Sorry for the link.

http://www.fukubonsai.com/5a16.html
https://www.bonsai-nbf.org/chinese-collection/

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Very Nice trees, but look closer at some of the features--they're interesting, but have some, well, gaps like most of our trees do.

Funny arguably the best one here is the mame from Fuku bonsai.

They didn't get it from Yee-Sun Wu...It is his collection that makes up the bulk of the Chinese Pavilion at the museum. Everything from Sageretia, Fukien tea, and elm. His book on lingnan style penjing, Man Lung Artistic Pot Plants, was a definitive work on Penjing. It was published in 1967. I have a copy--may be wrong, but I don't think there is a serissa in it. That would indicate to me that this species is largely a creation of a beginner's market that buys flashy flowers...;-) and ALOT of them as beginners have traditionally had a VERY hard time keeping them alive for more than a year. Ask any of the old timers from Bonsai Talk about Christmas (aka Serissa season) and the unavoidable "my serissa is dieing how do I save it" questions...

Sorry for the link.

http://www.fukubonsai.com/5a16.html
https://www.bonsai-nbf.org/chinese-collection/
Yes, reading posts starting with "my serissa is dieing" is very common, they are picky. I didn't say they were best bonsai candidates, but are usable. I like every woody plant...
The pics from the eshop are from my memory card... inspiration. Please take them as a raw pre-bonsai stuff, grown and cut, but I can see some nebari, trunks, musles, lines... Not many people are eager to play with them after losing few.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Ask any of the old timers from Bonsai Talk about Christmas (aka Serissa season) and the unavoidable "my serissa is dieing how do I save it" questions...

I can tell them how not to kill them, serious. They seem difficult to many and can and do grow great under correct conditions. They actually grow so good/rapid they require more work then most are willing to spend. As for flora it is nice and the leaf along with it has good proportion. With proper trimming flora is minimal up here so I don't see it as a sales point at all...

I have only lost them for lack of proper attention at some given point, but now understanding why it really is simple.

Grimmy

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
On our side, the problems with the Chinese Serissa are-

[ 1 ] Buds everywhere, so if you do the traditional eagle claw shape.
for a branch it will bud out the form - lots of extra pruning

[ 2 ] was not fibbing when I said the wounds rot.
Apologies Mellow - might be a climate thingee.

[ 3] A magnet for our leaf cutters.
Plant is also "allergic " to the ant's jaws and will often just die instead
of refoliating.

[ 4 ] Must have freely draining but moisture retentive soil and preferably
a porous pot.

[ 5 ] New one - Sun and nightime low 60's F , kills.
Just lost a trunk thickening effort to the Beast from the East [ Russia ]
Was trying for a 5 inch trunk ------ Damn :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
Start over...................................

Most the above we figured out solutions for.
Ants don't like to walk on metal ----- so restriction to the metal stands.
If the cold persists into the shade area with stands.
Light is still bright enough to grow well.

And we try again.

Oh and they must rest from Christmas until February for us.
Like the fukien tea.
Good Day
Anthony

*** But a very beautiful subject for a Classical Bonsai !!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom