Rocky Mt Juniper: First styling

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Nick Lenz had definately done this jin implant. Not sure if you mentioned it or not, did you use the same wood?

Bill, no I did not although it would have been nice to do so.

I believe he did. In the pictures it looked like he removed the bottom branch and screwed the jin to the base of the tree. I could be wrong, though ;-p

The cut branch shown in one of pics is actually a piece from a juniper bush in my garden (not sure of the variety).

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
After over 2 years since the first styling, here is an update of this RMJ again after completing its second styling. Next spring it will be repotted into a more suitable container. Probably something wider and not as deep. The natural shari and all jins need to be cleaned and further refined. I plan on leaving the beautiful, flaky bark as is and not attempt to strip it down to its more reddish core as is customary with junipers.

Before any work was done, all wire was removed. It was then completely rewired again. The tree stands only 10.5" high from the edge of the pot.

Below is a pic of how the tree looked right before its second styling with all the wire taken off. It had been left to grow to regain strength and let the trunk and branches settle into their new shapes.

The tree now with its second styling completed.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You certainly have a signature with the way you style your trees. I for one really appreciate the way you find the refinement in your trees without loosing the "wild". Love that bark, what a great progression for this tree.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I needed this on a Sunday morning. Thanks for cheering me up.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Growing the tree out and then restyling has definitely yielded a better image. The first image was fantastic already though.:D

One thing I notice or don't notice with your work is this... You know how when you look at a tree, many times, there is something that seems out of place. Maybe it is a branch that does not flow with the rest of the tree. Maybe a branch that is little long. It might be that the apex is just slightly off to the left or right etc...However, I have never seen an image of a tree you posted where I saw one thing that was out of balance or did not belong. Your fine (also, main) wiring is probably some of the best that I have seen on any of the forums. Every thing flows like rivers. Just like it should. Fine wiring can make or break a bonsai.

Rob

Reaction score
Thanks Andrew!

Thanks bonsaiTOM! Yes I'm not surprised other people have tried it. I would guess the Japanese would frown upon it since it is a kind of Tanuki, but in the end I believe you must use all available tools/techniques at your disposal.

The hardest part for me was finding a suitable branch with the right thickness and movement that I could work into the design.

Have fun and good luck with your Jin implant projects! Make sure to share your results ;)

All kind of things happen in the world of bonsai...
But, a magician never reveals how a trick is done.
:cool:

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
You certainly have a signature with the way you style your trees. I for one really appreciate the way you find the refinement in your trees without loosing the "wild". Love that bark, what a great progression for this tree.

Thanks Judy! With these trees I try and walk the line between the more classical (ie. Japanese) and the more naturalistic (ie. as practiced by artists like Walter Pall) aspects of bonsai. I takes effort on my part to try and not impose too much of my own will on any given tree.

Honestly I never thought about having any sort of personal style in bonsai. I suppose this it much more apparent when each one of us looks at others' trees and we can pick up on those subtleties :rolleyes:

I needed this on a Sunday morning. Thanks for cheering me up.

Thanks Al! I am sure glad it did :)

Hang in there Al, you and Mrs. K are in our thoughts and prayers.

I am obviously missing something here???

Growing the tree out and then restyling has definitely yielded a better image. The first image was fantastic already though.:D

One thing I notice or don't notice with your work is this... You know how when you look at a tree, many times, there is something that seems out of place. Maybe it is a branch that does not flow with the rest of the tree. Maybe a branch that is little long. It might be that the apex is just slightly off to the left or right etc...However, I have never seen an image of a tree you posted where I saw one thing that was out of balance or did not belong. Your fine (also, main) wiring is probably some of the best that I have seen on any of the forums. Every thing flows like rivers. Just like it should. Fine wiring can make or break a bonsai.

Rob

Thanks Rob! Certainly I appreciate the comment from someone like you. Be as it may and as hard as I may try, the flaws are all there LOL!

As far as the wiring, well... as you know Rob, wiring IS bonsai. Without it is like doing an oil painting with your toes. It is a sort of necessary evil (at least for me) to get somewhere and this tree tried my patience!!

You mentioning about the branch flow reminded me of what Master Urushibata said to me when I visited him back in June: "Your branches must always flow like a river". Pretty much exactly what you just said! I find this to be one of the most complex and difficult concepts to execute well in bonsai. It is finding subtle, internal rhythms that bring a tree to life.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks Judy! With these trees I try and walk the line between the more classical (ie. Japanese) and the more naturalistic (ie. as practiced by artists like Walter Pall) aspects of bonsai. I takes effort on my part to try and not impose too much of my own will on any given tree.

Honestly I never thought about having any sort of personal style in bonsai. I suppose this it much more apparent when each one of us looks at others' trees and we can pick up on those subtleties :rolleyes:

Thanks Al! I am sure glad it did :)

I am obviously missing something here???

Thanks Rob! Certainly I appreciate the comment from someone like you. Be as it may and as hard as I may try, the flaws are all there LOL!

As far as the wiring, well... as you know Rob, wiring IS bonsai. Without it is like doing an oil painting with your toes. It is a sort of necessary evil (at least for me) to get somewhere and this tree tried my patience!!

You mentioning about the branch flow reminded me of what Master Urushibata said to me when I visited him back in June: "Your branches must always flow like a river". Pretty much exactly what you just said! I find this to be one of the most complex and difficult concepts to execute well in bonsai. It is finding subtle, internal rhythms that bring a tree to life.

Yes, the river example was how it was taught to me.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
nicely done. RMJ's are known for their Jin and shari, not their folliage. I really think you have done credit to both concerns.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
2014 update

Updating with some new photos of this RMJ.

Below is the tree as it looks now with its foliage thinned and balanced and some areas touched up and rewired. I am trying to keep the overall image light and airy although I'd like for some areas to fill in a bit more. The jins were treated recently with lime sulphur and further refined with a dremel. Earlier this spring I repotted it into a simple unglazed Yixing container.

I love the bark on these junipers. I can't bring myself to stripping it all down to its red smooth core.

Jins were worked on lightly and treated.

Foliage was thinned and the canopy was edited. All strong shoots were cut back to the base leaving the rest of the growing tips intact. The tree now exhibits almost all scale-like adult foliage throughout.

A shorter, simple Yixing container was used. I think it's much more suited for this tree.

Chuhin in size, this RMJ now measures 11" high from the rim of the pot and 17" wide. For a collected juniper, it is relatively young at an estimated age of "only" 250 years old.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Hey Mach, coincidentely, I just posted this on IBC: With collected trees/yamadori, you must remove bark to look for borers. Been cleaning quite a bit of l. veins recently and just found my first borer this weekend. If you don't look, it might just kill you tree.

Ryan told us to remove it as soon at the trees established and growing, not before as it's a moisture loosing process. BTW, the borers are disgusting looking! I love the bark too, but not worth the risk of loosing the tree.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Beautiful tree, due to what you have done with it. You have a great eye.

Top Bottom