Roots in Turface + Potting soil

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Sorry man, I didn't mean to make you cry...
OK, I can do that. Lets compare some trees that are less than five years in training. You can put up some trees less than five years in training.

LOL. You really are hard in understanding. :)

The things you did/produced when you were 5 years in the hobby. Is that understandable? :rolleyes:

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And I'm still using hydite and decomposed pine bark on everything........I think it's all about proper hydration and drainage.... I just can't believe how plants can possibly grow in regular potting soil.:rolleyes: thousands of non bonsai folk have very healthy Japanese maples planted in grow boxes on their porches using what comes in the potting soil bag from their local nursery. :p

gergwebber

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Smoke, if you failed using Turface, you do not have to shoot it down. It works for me (and others), much better than sand will (and no, they are not equal IMHO). Rather than keep fighting, maybe (just maybe) you can learn something (even a little) from us also? ;)

Thank you. :)

I have some elms and plums in potting soil sand that are as robust as those pictured. I think that you have to be more discerning with sand though. I have the best luck with a coarse washed sand. I tried some left over from a paving job this year and it seems to be full of fines. It drains 10 times slower than the coarse stuff.

Not all sand is equal.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Everything I have bought planted in a sand mixer is sooooo slow to drain.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
LOL. You really are hard in understanding. :)

The things you did/produced when you were 5 years in the hobby. Is that understandable? :rolleyes:

oh... I understand perfectly. You talk like your ready now though. You have an excuse for everything.

Just so you know....It was guys like me that laid the groundwork and pictures of the hobby during the course of the internet for you to sop up you ungrateful snot.

Your welcome....

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
oh... I understand perfectly. You talk like your ready now though. You have an excuse for everything.

Just so you know....It was guys like me that laid the groundwork and pictures of the hobby during the course of the internet for you to sop up you ungrateful snot.

Your welcome....
ROFLMAO.

The college football quarter back...challenging a 3rd grade elementary student. Very so you Smoke. You must be really out to stoop so low.

Done with the newbie card? Now you are pulling the ungrateful snot card? You missed to list who you worked with, what organizations you held as President, and your entire resume....please dazzle us once more. LOL

Reaction score
I doubt the entire bonsai community would purchase enough to be economically feasible to manufacture.
I always find funny...
you know the folks who sit around spending time doubting things,
while the rest are busy doing things...

FrankP999

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I always find funny...
you know the folks who sit around spending time doubting things,
while the rest are busy doing things...
I did contact Turface using the link someone posted earlier. I will post their reply when I receive it.

Thanks for reading my message and posting your reply.

Frank

Reaction score
I did contact Turface using the link someone posted earlier. I will post their reply when I receive it.

Thanks for reading my message and posting your reply.

Frank
Hey... check that out.
I was the one that posted that link.
And I knew you weren't going to just idly sit by doubting...
Besides, the answer is always no until someone asks.
:)

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
ROFLMAO.

The college football quarter back...challenging a 3rd grade elementary student. Very so you Smoke. You must be really out to stoop so low.

Done with the newbie card? Now you are pulling the ungrateful snot card? You missed to list who you worked with, what organizations you held as President, and your entire resume....please dazzle us once more. LOL

Your the one that started the challenge with trees. You were the one that went from soil to trees. I'm the one stooping low...please. In fact you are the one that pulled every stinking picture from this site. You got something to hide? Gonna dazzle us all in twenty years when were all dead.....It must have killed you to consider me the college quarterback and you the third grade elementary student, but if thats the way you see it, who am I to argue.

I accept your compliment and apoligy.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's a hobby your supposed to enjoy....I don't think anyone on this post supports their family from little trees. Come on guys. Really.?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Your the one that started the challenge with trees. You were the one that went from soil to trees. I'm the one stooping low...please. In fact you are the one that pulled every stinking picture from this site. You got something to hide? Gonna dazzle us all in twenty years when were all dead.....It must have killed you to consider me the college quarterback and you the third grade elementary student, but if thats the way you see it, who am I to argue.

I accept your compliment and apoligy.

Compliment yes. Apology no.

I acknowledge you have much more experience and know more than me...but you are far from perfect. Unlike you, I am open minded. Coh (Chris) is also but again we are not your "yes men" so you zero on us. I say this about Chris even if we disagree in occasions.

All I did was show pics of what I have grown in my substrate and it got you so hurt again because you failed on it that you started snapping and insulting people who did not line up behind you. Read the entire thread! With an open mind if you can. I know it is tough for some but try anyway.

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Dave.....I'll contact the guy in Holly Springs that is a dealer for Mule mix and ask about price and availability. The 516 has the largest particle size according to the spec sheet.

Turface size....

Mule mix 516 size....

Brian

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Compliment yes. Apology no.

I acknowledge you have much more experience and know more than me...but you are far from perfect. Unlike you, I am open minded. Coh (Chris) is also but again we are not your "yes men" so you zero on us. I say this about Chris even if we disagree in occasions.

All I did was show pics of what I have grown in my substrate and it got you so hurt again because you failed on it that you started snapping and insulting people who did not line up behind you. Read the entire thread! With an open mind if you can. I know it is tough for some but try anyway.

Accusations again. please multiquote the snapping and insulting done in this thread. Opinions about your pictures but no insults. Never said I was perfect. You keep saying your open minded yet you continue to argue about something that is proven by science and more professionals in the world that use a totaly inorganic larger mix. It is like if you concede that the larger mix is better you have lost or something. Get over yourself, its not about you.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Accusations again. please multiquote the snapping and insulting done in this thread. Opinions about your pictures but no insults. Never said I was perfect. You keep saying your open minded yet you continue to argue about something that is proven by science and more professionals in the world that use a totaly inorganic larger mix. It is like if you concede that the larger mix is better you have lost or something. Get over yourself, its not about you.

I just finally realized that NOTHING I say can change how you see things.

Good luck to you Smoke!!!

This is my last response to you...so have fun. :)

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I use a lot of turface. Why? Its cheap and a great filler.
Used by itself, it does have issues. Used in conjunction with other components, it works quite well.

Turface, by itself, can easily compact and can create dry pockets. Organic fertilizer will worsen the issue. Mixing turface with another component, like lava or hadite etc, minimizes compaction and dry pockets.

Turface will work well for you as a single component so long as you do your part too by properly watering and fertilizing. It will work better if mixed with other components.

Caveat: the tree and the environment also play a significant role

I agree 100% with Don on all these points. I use turface as a component in my mix for deciduous trees, and have gotten really good root growth. I usually mix it with pumice and granite, and sometimes lava. I've experienced the dry spots using 100% turface before, particularly when using organic fertilizers, so now I always use turface as part of a mix.

For trees that are a little more sensitive as to their roots like pines and junipers, I don't use a turface mix but stick with a pumice/lava/haydite/granite mix.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Everything I have bought planted in a sand mixer is sooooo slow to drain.

Very true. Some of my olive that were from Lowe's need to be totally re-potted since the roots are basically rotting. Just waiting for warmer days to come and I will chop them flat. :D

What I do not like is they damage my cutter when cleaning all the tangled roots. Turface is much gentler on cutting tool edges. :)

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I posted this on another thread, but these pictures show a japanese maple that was grown in the ground for a number of years, dug up last year, and with few feeder roots, was planted into an Anderson flat in 100% pure turface. In case folks don't know, an Anderson flat is approximately 15"x15"x5". You can see in the attached pictures taken this afternoon just how terrible the rootball is now a year later. I don't know, maybe I should have used Superthrive or humic acid?

For what it's worth, I repotted a juniper earlier this weekend that was in Boon's mix (actually prepared from a repotting workshop with Boon three years ago). I was a bit surprised to see that there was a hard, cement-like mix at the bottom of the pot that needed to be scraped off.

Attachments

• DSC06282.JPG
    DSC06282.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 40
  • DSC06283.JPG
    DSC06283.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC06284.JPG
    DSC06284.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC06285.JPG
    DSC06285.JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 24

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"Just because you choose to continue to use what you do and have success with it does not mean anything one way or the other." - The almighty Smoke

I'm sure someone will come along and tell you how much better the root growth could have been if you'd used the miracle mix.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
...these pictures show a japanese maple that was grown in the ground for a number of years, dug up last year, and with few feeder roots, was planted into an Anderson flat in 100% pure turface. In case folks don't know, an Anderson flat is approximately 15"x15"x5". You can see in the attached pictures taken this afternoon just how terrible the rootball is now a year later.

Amazing root system you got there. I wish my 100% turface experience yielded as nice results. You are certainly doing something right. :cool:

How are you watering and fertilizing?

Top Bottom