Rosemary mystery

Music4cash

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I bought a tray of six rosemary plants about a month ago. I got them because herbs grow faster than trees (I think), and with six plants I can try different things and compare the results. I pruned some without repotting, repotted some without pruning, I have some inside and some outside. A month into the experiment something strange had happened and I'm going someone can tell me why. The pruning doesn't seem to have affected the health of any of the plants.
I put two plants outside that I did not repot and they are both doing great growing like crazy and pretty happy. The four inside plants are different. I repotted two of them into bonsai jack organic and they are the healthiest of the bunch. New root growth everywhere new shoots just doing great. The two that I kept inside but left in the nursery soil are dying. One of them I gave up on and repotted and it's doing better now. The other I'll probably repot this weekend because it's really struggling. So the question is why would the outside plants do fine without repotting while the indoor plants do not?

A secondary question is how could hearty is rosemary? Will the outdoor plants be ok or should I bring them in?

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Rosemary do not like wet soil so is it possible the ones inside are sitting in wet soil? Different varieties of Rosemary have different hardiness levels so you will need to know what you have. The most cold hardy I have seen are zone 6. In my experience growing Rosemary as and herb they are slow growers.

Music4cash

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If anything the soil in the outside plants is wetter, because of rain. This was a nursery tray from Lowes, I got them to experiment with but I have no idea what variety they are. It was only $3 for the whole tray, so I figure that's cheaper than fresh rosemary from the grocery store so if they all die no big deal.

Top Bottom