Sad addition to my bonsai collection..

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
My father in law recently passed away and left me his bonsai. He gave me my first little tree 40 years ago and started my lifelong love of the art. Today I made the trip to bring his trees to their new home. He had some for over fifty years. I will treasure them. Dad's trees.jpg

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Looks like you have your work cut out for you. If they were neglected due to his poor health or advanced age, there's probably a lot of work to do. But they look healthy! And what better way to keep a man's memory alive?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Sounds like you had a pretty cool Father in law... my condolences on his passing. I hope you enjoy his trees. I'm sure his knowing you would become his tree's caretaker eased his burden as he grew older. To know a close friend or family member who was also an experienced hobbyist would continue on with my trees would truly be a blessing.

abqjoe

Chumono
Reaction score
Death is a natural part of life and as with all things, when one thing ends, a new thing begins. Those trees are a part of a living legacy that will continue through you now. I pray that you yourself would have a child to pass them onto when your flame goes out in this place too. Sorry for your loss, but know that he most likely poured the best of himself into those trees and that those trees will likewise pour him back into you as you become a part of each others life now......

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
He had some for over fifty years. I will treasure them.

It is bittersweet, but we all need to acknowledge that most of our trees have the ability to outlive us - in some cases by a large span. I like to think that my trees will still be around decades after I have moved on. It is (for me) a comforting thought.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Looks like you have your work cut out for you. If they were neglected due to his poor health or advanced age, there's probably a lot of work to do. But they look healthy! And what better way to keep a man's memory alive?
Some are in very poor shape. some even have little or no soil left in the pots, but they're still alive. I'm sure I can bring most of them back to health.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
What a nice legacy to receive from the person that got you started in the hobby. My condolences for your loss, but he will live on in your heart, as you care for his trees.

f1pt4

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Truly sorry for your loss. It's an honour to keep his memory and legacy alive through his trees. Enjoy them, bring them back to health, and let them bring a smile to you and your loved ones in many ways :)

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry for your loss. It's great though that you were able to share the bonsai passion with him. My mom was an avid gardener (not bonsai though) and she was the one who got me interested in nature and plants. When we sold their house I brought some of her plants for our yard...they bring a smile and happy memories each year when they start to grow, bloom, etc. I'm sure these trees will do the same for you.

Top Bottom