San jose project

esteve59

Yamadori
Reaction score
I purchased this at Natures Way Bonsai yesterday and as you can see it needs a serious haircut.
Can someone tell me if it is too late in the season to do a major trim on a San jose here in Maryland.

Attachments

• P1010756.jpg
    P1010756.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 159
  • P1010755.jpg
    P1010755.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 154
Reaction score
I personally would say yes, mainly because I would be worried that any new growth, might freeze before it even had a chance to harden off.

Besides, seeing that there is not much foilage in towards the main trunk...
I think some serious wiring, along with a good plan of attack is in you near future, to bring some of this back in. I would grab a sketch pad, even if you are not good at drawing, and start trying to to work out what you would like to see this tree look like while it is cold, and come early spring, attack.

Good luck, you have some good potential here.:)

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is the San Jose a juniper? It looks like a juniper and seems like a pretty neat little specimen you have there.

ed

Last edited:

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ok, I just seen I was in the Juniper thread, so question answered, lol.

ed

painter

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
feed and pinch the heck out of it in the spring and you will get good bud back much closer in to the trunk

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Stacy gave you good advice.. That being.. serious wiring should be in this trees future. I am not sure that the option of waiting for it to back bud will yield a lot of results.. It could, but it would take many many years and it still might be sub par.

As far as care, I would not begin pinching this tree any time soon. Pinching is mostly done on a "finished" or near finished tree. To pinch now may kill the whole area that you are pinching. A tree needs to be at least moderately strong before that technique can yield positive results.I would let it grow a bit and then wire the younger, thinner branches in place to create the illusion that there are branches eminating from the right areas.

I hope this is helpful

Rob

Last edited:

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Good advice,ive had san jose that were healthy that entire branches died during hard pruning,ive also seen die back from pinching sometimes
,cant hurt to wait till spring,cool tree,im glad to see you made the journey to natures way,it always makes for a interesting day.Good to see another Marylander here,best of luck with your new tree.

esteve59

Yamadori
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips....I think I can restrain myself till spring....I do love going to Natures way.....they have artists from all over the world for demos,,,,ITs the closest Bonsai shop to me that I know of....

Top Bottom