Scots Pine Progress

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
true the branch did die .... and was not intentionally removed .... we often refer to these types of things as "styling opportunities" (make the unintentional feel like a gift)

I see the tree being enchanced by the creation of this empty space... it's not completely empty so we aren't left with a stark jolt.... with the subsequent creation of the additional jins the dead branch begins to make sense.... The empty space creates tension and drama its the sign of a calamity that must have befallen the tree (a large borer... a lightning strike ... maybe an extra hard freeze or killing wind on a branch that grew weak ) ... before the tree had sense of calmness and looking a little "groomed"

This creation of deadwood enhances the aged appearance of the tree ... we see such things in nature readily (at least up here) ... disrupting the look it being so "groomed" also gives us a sense of age... this overly neat (even in the older case of the tree) and obviously kept foliage gives the appearance of a young tree or the look something maintained.... we (by we I mean the group of bonsai ppl I refer to as bonsai bums II ) don't strive for such an appearance in our trees.... while we all have differing ideas of to what extent each tree should be taken we all agree on a few key points (i hope) : 1) the tree should look as appropriately ancient as is possible with the design 2) to achieve the goals of #1 it is often required that deadwood be created 3) the tree should appear natural in form .... 4) the tree must have some feature that sets it apart from others as a "focal point"

this last point is key here .... the other 3 points are met of course ... however it is the 4th point that leads us to see why this tree has dramatically improved ... the large dead branch and drama in that section of the tree gives it a focal point ... a place your eye lands first... since the base of this tree isn't the most amazing in the world the traditional focal point isn't used.... instead you are immediately moved into the crown of the tree to enjoy the detail and care spent creating a gnarled wonderland of branching and deadwood... you are presented with a sense of age .... the tree has a strong sense of movement now and the curve is the trunk is enhanced with a more dramatic sense of grandeur

note too that thinning of the needles and reduction of the foliage has helped with this effect as the lack of lushness in the tree also enhances the appearance of age... and allows us a chance to see the ramification that has been created (what use if awesome ramification if no one can enjoy the results of it?)

hopefullly that sheds some light on why I think the tree has been enhanced ......

Thank you for the thorough explanation of your reasoning. The tree definitely does tell a story, although my personal view is still that the loss of the branch was a step back for the tree. This is of course just my subjective opinion that is largely the result of the various influences I have encountered during my bonsai career, as is usually the case. Who knows, maybe in a few years I will appreciate this tree in the same way most of the people here seem to.

Cheers

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Will you've done a marvelous job turning a quirky tree into a pearl. She photographs like a smokin' hot model.:cool:

V

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yowza, didn't catch this update before! This is really looking great. Old and magnificent.

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Graham, Walter, Vic, Judy, Brian - thanks all. High praise indeed!

Brian - when you mention that this tree's progress "appears effortless," you touched upon something that I think sets some of my works apart. I started out in bonsai buying a number of very nice trees from Brussels nursery in northern Mississippi when we lived near Memphis. Many of the trees were semi-tropicals. When we moved to Taos, New Mexico for three years, with its 7500 ft. high desert climate, a large number of my trees died despite all my efforts. However, some survived, but with large segments of the trees having died.

At first I was in despair, but I brought these partially dead trees with me when we moved here to bonsai-heaven in the Northwest ten years ago. After some time here, I noticed that these partially dead trees were developing into some of my most natural-looking trees. Nature had killed off the weakest, most expendable parts of the trees, like nature always does, but what remained was priceless. The trees were teaching me something, and I was fortunate enough to pay attention.

Over the years, this was confirmed with other trees: if I decided to kill and jin a branch, the design never looked all that convincing. But if I was just a bit too neglectful or too rough with the care or pruning, and the tree got stressed out, such that it had to sacrifice a branch to send the energy elsewhere - as it would in the natural scheme of things in the wild - it would chose more wisely than I ever would have which branch to sacrifice, and the design would look very convincingly natural.

That is exactly what has happened with this tree. Up here, I have learned to prune pines a bit differently than the usual method, resulting in very short needles after two years, but putting great stress on the tree to do so. If not careful, the tree can die. With this tree, however, the tree did not die, but it sacrificed certain branches. The ones it sacrificed, although worrisome to me at first, created a much more natural look than if I had controlled the design. By giving up that control, and employing a little courage, the tree has progressed to a far more natural state than I could ever have brought it to.

The pine technique I mention is peculiar to pines, but my generally low-maintenance, benign-neglect attitude towards all my trees has often resulted in similar serendipitous cataclysms and set-backs on a number of my other trees. The natural-looking top on the Threadbranch False cypress is one example, the evolving deadwood on the old Chinese elm is another, and so on.

The beauty of old survivors in nature stems largely from such cataclysms, as well as the slow attrition of vegetative areas as the ever-lengthening roots outgrow their ability to supply distal foliage with water and nutrients. Frequent root pruning and meticulous, obsessive watering and fertilizing in bonsai will result in lush juvenile growth if that's what one is after, but will never mimic the natural look that I prefer in bonsai.

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's interesting, those large dead branches. They really make the design great, but if it was up to us, I can't imagine that we would kill those branches to create such a design. So, we need those accidents, to create something unique. Hilarious, isn't it?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
This tree is particularly lovely, I could not find a beter adjective to describe it. Lovely conotates movement, soul and grace and this one has all of that and more. Very, very, very nice tree suitable for any mountain side in the West.

Top Bottom